Orphaned Sessions in a CITRIX application environment

• Hello PPL,

I'm pretty new on SQL server but learning to become a skilled administrator.

Today I went to a site where they had a SQL server problem.

With only 5 users active on a specific application written in C++ I did see 16215 spleeping processes with Command status "Awaiting Command". So this are Orphaned Sessions. 5 minutes later Querying again gives 200 more processes. I come to these 5 users because there where in sysprocesses only 5 different hostnames that where holding the Awaiting Command process ID's

Tuesday the programmer of the application is comming. I would like to know i Can figure out or this is a application programming error? So I can point him to the problem..

Or that this is a network environment error?

The application is hosted in a CITRIX application platform. Anyone who have seen this problem before? Specially in combination with CITRIX running the application?

How can I firgure out or this are request by the application that are not closed properly?

How can I pin point the application programming problem, or figure out what is causing this? Users say they all needley shutdown there apps and citrix sessions... Can it be that the application thoes not terminate his requests in a need way?

Please help...

Arjan

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• I would look into 'keep-alives'!

What OS/SQL Server Version are you running? What version of CITRIX is being used? Also find out how the applications is establishing connections? Is connection pooling involved? What driver is the application using for connections and what version? Is he destroying the connection when he is done? etc....

• Kory,

Thanks for you reply.

I have been showing the application programmer my findings on the database Awaiting Command Sessions.

First he pointed to the CITRIX application environment for holding the sessions.

But the CITRIX environment is automaticly closing down the application if not used for 2 hours and reboots every night to close open CITRIX sessions.

Also I could point to the dates of the Awaiting Sessions, they where all issued at the the current day. Calling a user at the same time pointed that he was still using the application at the moment of the Orphaned Sessions.

At that point the programmer takes a look at his coding and stated he made a small mistake.

Ik can not say what he has done wrong but the problem is fixed and no orphaned sessions are left when users are working the app.

Closing...

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply