out of disk space.

• Hi all,

My dev server is almost out of disk space..

It doesnt have any database related inf..like mdf and ldf files.

right now the space in my c drive is just 30 mb...

what are the best practices and precautions that I need to take to get back the disk space on C drive.

• I'm confused. What is using the space? You said it didn't have any mdf/ldf files.

• Usually the C drive should only be reserved for Windows. Any other Application, including SQl should be installed on, lets say D with the Database files on others.

You should check the Temp folder both in C:\ and in the Windows folder and see if there's any leftovers.

If your drive space is growing low, evidently some process is filling it up.

If this is the same server that you had questions in other threads, it could be error logs, sql dumps.

What size is your C drive?

• You probably have your pagefile in C drive and it is eating up all the space?

-Roy

• Actually, My C drive is 40 gb ... and

I see some users have lots of data like around 11 gb of data on their personilized desktops...

I dont know If I can defrag my c drive... does it has any effects

• "around 11 gb of data on their personilized desktops." on a production SQL Server??? I didn't even mention to look into this because i assumed that there *should* be no issue with that.......

You could defrag C drive, but what benefit would you gain from it? Most space occupied was/is most likely that "personal" data scattered around....

• I've used WinDirStat to track down files to delete to free up space. I would make sure you keep a list of what you delete and then try to evaluate where the files came from. If it's, for example, rips of movies or cracked games I would immediately start looking into whether or not the server has been hacked.

• striker-baba (4/28/2010)

Actually, My C drive is 40 gb ... and

I see some users have lots of data like around 11 gb of data on their personilized desktops...

As mentioned ... that's part of your problem. Users should not have data on a server. Are they using it for iTunes storage ? A server should only be accessed by the Network admin and maybe a SQL DBA.

As also mentioned, you may have processes writing log files, so go hunting around.

maybe you have old software that can be uninstalled ?

• Maybe it's just me, but it sounds like you just need to delete stuff off the server.

If this location also has your data files, one thing to look for is orphaned files from databases that have been deleted. The .mdf & .ldf files don't always get properly cleaned up.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• striker-baba (4/28/2010)

Actually, My C drive is 40 gb ... and

This may sound over-zealous but I would delete those user profiles. That behavior is an abuse of permissions onto a server. If it is data that they need, it needs to be stored on their file share.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Grant Fritchey (4/28/2010)

Maybe it's just me, but it sounds like you just need to delete stuff off the server.

If this location also has your data files, one thing to look for is orphaned files from databases that have been deleted. The .mdf & .ldf files don't always get properly cleaned up.

Yes, certainly look for those kinds of problems as well. Some of your users may also be "orphaned" accounts. Meaning they are no longer employed - clean it up.

You may also consider looking into CCleaner. It is a freeware disk cleaning utility.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply