Output data to a WORD document

• Hi,

Does anyone know if you can output data using SSIS into a word document

I need to use an existing word document and fill in the blanks.

Any help much appreciated.

Many thanks

Pete

Peter Gadsby
    Business Intelligence Consultant
    www.hgconsult.co.uk

• It would be much more effective to output your data to a file and use Word to do a MERGE document.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Have you got any examples of performing mail merges, can this process be automated? I haven't used mail merge before.

Thanks

Pete

Peter Gadsby
    www.hgconsult.co.uk

• To explain my users requirement in a bit more detail....

1) A property has changed status from occupied to available to let

2) This should trigger a word document to go out to the lettings department for this property with all of the relevant property information filled in. A standard document template should be used.

All of the above will be scheduled to run daily in batch.

Hope the above makes sense....

Regards

Pete

Peter Gadsby
    www.hgconsult.co.uk

• How to automate Word to perform a mail merge from Visual Basic .NET

You probably could do this in SSIS with the Script Task but that just doesn't seem like the right tool.

Writing a VB.NET application to automate the merge is something that could be scheduled.

• Build a report in Reporting Services.

• I've just found this post .... http://www.simple-talk.com/sql/t-sql-programming/writing-to-word-from-sql-server/

which seems to use OLE Automation to write to Word.... Has anyone had a go at using this before?

Pete

Peter Gadsby
    www.hgconsult.co.uk

• Once I have built a report in Reporting Services, can this data be automatically exported to Word format?

Peter Gadsby
    www.hgconsult.co.uk

• You may want to look at OfficeWriter for working with Word documents in Reporting Services.

Officewriter - Reporting Services

Designing and Delivering Rich Office Reports with SQL Server Reporting Services 2005 and SoftArtisans OfficeWriter

• Yes, Reporting Services will output to a Word document, Rich Text, pdf, and a couple of other formats.

It can be tricky to make a really complicated Word document with it, but if your document is not too complex this may be a much easier solution for you to deal with. The previous poster offered a solution if your document is really complicated.

In addition to outputting to your format, if you are running Enterprise edition of SQL Reporting services, you can use a data-driven subscription to generate the report and email it to the appropriate people.

If this does not work, I would tend to go the mail-merge direction. You can create a mail merge document pretty easily and even directly access your database data for the merge data. Automating this would be a matter of opening a template with the mail merge set up and finalizing the merge. You can get the code for this by recording a macro while you do these actions in Word - it is not much code.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply