Output sqlcmd result in a .txt file (only the value, not more info)

• Hi guys,

I am using the following sqlcmd to export the value of the query into a .txt file:

sqlcmd -S brdsqldev01 -d brframedevelopment -Q "SELECT name FROM sys.databases AS d WHERE CHARINDEX('Snapshot', name) > 0 AND create_date = (SELECT MAX(create_date) FROM sys.databases AS d WHERE CHARINDEX('Snapshot', name) > 0)" -b -s "," -o "U:\testResults.txt"

This is what I get as a result in the .txt file:

name

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BRFrameDevelopmentSnapshot20150602

(1 rows affected)

The value is the one I was looking for. However, I need to read this value back into another system using the following command line:

set /p SNAPSHOT=< "U:\testResults.txt"

The value “NAME” is then assign to the variable!!

Is there a way to export only the value in the .txt file?

• try this:

sqlcmd -S brdsqldev01 -d brframedevelopment -Q "SET NOCOUNT ON; SELECT name FROM sys.databases AS d WHERE CHARINDEX('Snapshot', name) > 0 AND create_date = (SELECT MAX(create_date) FROM sys.databases AS d WHERE CHARINDEX('Snapshot', name) > 0)" -b -s "," -o "U:\testResults.txt" -h -1

-- Gianluca Sartori

• It's working ! Thanks !

• Glad I could help. The trick here is SET NOCOUNT on to suppress the "x rows affected" messages and -h -1 to suppress column headers.

-- Gianluca Sartori

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply