Overriding System Messages

• Overriding System Messages

All we know the introduction of constraints was a great enhancement to RDBM’S. Look but when you try to violate a constraint, System generates an error message which tells about all most all the stuff but of a little relevance for the end user.

Now let’s have a discussion on

Overriding System Messages

Let me tell my idea In my employees table I am having a Grade filed which references an empgrade table, On the violation of this constraint I wish to get the following error message “Grade field expects a valid grade ” or something like that

Pl contribute

• You won't be able to override the error message directly. What you can do is trap for an error condition before hand. For instance (within a stored procedure):

IF NOT EXISTS (SELECT grade FROM dbo.ValidGrades WHERE grade = @grade)
    BEGIN
    RAISERROR('Grade field expects a valid grade.', 14, 1)
    RETURN(1)
    END

K. Brian Kelley

http://www.truthsolutions.com/

Author: Start to Finish Guide to SQL Server Performance Monitoring

http://www.netimpress.com/

Edited by - bkelley on 10/14/2003 12:06:56 PM

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• In that case the very purpose of constraints itself is questioned, each time you have to see in the lookup table means even you can avoid the constraint as a whole. I too know at present the RDBMS’ are not supporting this feature. But I wish to have a discussion on custom messages as part of Constraints or overriding the System Messages.

Frends come forward with new Syntax and Ideas on this Topic

• Here's what I do. I give the constraint a meaningful name, like in your case:

CK_grade_[Grade_field_expects_a_valid_grade].

The user will get a check constraint violation message and also the constraint name, which gives some explanation. Other than that there's nothing more you can do with check constraints in the database.

• The solution to this problem is to handle the error message on the CLIENT side. In other words use structured exception handling, trap the exception and translate the message to a user friendly format.

HTH

* Noel

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply