Overview of SQL 2005 Changes and Additions

• I'm looking for a good overview of SQL 2005. Specifically, something that compares SQL 2K to SQL 2005, lists the differences, and the added features. I'm hope to find something that isn't too detailed or "techie" (I want a short summary to show to Management). I would appreciate any recommendations.

Thanks

• Hey there,

I found the following information on the DevX website posted by a gentleman by the name of Mark Frawley it oulines the changes and new features from an analysist standpoint. I hope this helps.  I was going to post the article here in this reply, however there are images that would not come over with it. I dont see a way to upload a file for this reply so here is the link.

http://www.devx.com/dbzone/Article/21539/0/page/3

I hop that helps

R.Brown

• Well I think you will find several good overviews at Microsofts SQL Server 2005 sites. However, in my opinion, these are some of the important new features in SQL Server 2005:

* New and much improved toolset

SQL Server Management Studio is a much better product than Enterprise Manager. At first I missed a more light-weight query editor, but now I am so fond of all the features of SSMS that it will be the first app I start when I power up my computer. In this category I could also place the much better transparency 'into' SQL Server with the new Dynamic Management Views and the catalog views that replace the system tables.

* Security improvements

This is a huge post. Everything from low-level improvements such as encryption and password policies to more general things such as the default of locking down everything not necessary.

* T-SQL Enhancements

Better, more structured code with error handling, Common Table Expressions and some additions that avoids some of the needs for dynamic sql. Snapshot Isolation is a useful addition and will definitely help in converting from other DBMSs to SQL Server.

* Low-level stuff

Partitioning, indexing enhancements (much more online operations than before) and improvements to query optimization.

* CLR Integration

And finally there is of course the integration of CLR into SQL Server.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply