Page Faults/sec high and performance degraded !

• A quick question before I start reconfiguing the server.

We are running SQL2000 on Server 2000, and I've always allowed SQL to get as much memory as it needs as nothing else runs on the server.

However, we have an application that allows our users to set up specific queries for data and produces large data files. These can take time to produce, the data extraction is large and intensive and very varied, so what we have devised is a system that allows the users to set up the parameters and they get queued up within a SQL table. Every 10 minutes a SQL job takes the top request, and summons a DTS package which generates text files and filannl emails the operator to say that their data files are ready and where on the network they can be found.

What we have noticed is that when some of the larger files are generated, or event worse, when the job is running at the same time as one of the database backups, the pages/sec and page faults/sec increases dramatally, users start to complain that the response times slow, and attempts to get into tools like the enterprise manager or query manager is sluggish.

We are currently building a new database server with increased memory, processing power and server 2003, but I'm wondering whether capping the memory available to SQL Server would help to give the DTSRUN application additional memory to work with ?

Any suggestions would be gratefully accepted as we are hoping to switch the server live between Christmas and New Year (supply parcels of mince pies and brandy would be gratefull recieved as well).

---------------------------------------
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
    It is by the Beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed,
    the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning.

• quote:

We are currently building a new database server with increased memory, processing power and server 2003, but I'm wondering whether capping the memory available to SQL Server would help to give the DTSRUN application additional memory to work with ?

We had to do this with one particular DB server that had an application running on it (only vendor supported config) and got decent results with it. It keeps the memory battle from taking place.

K. Brian Kelley, GSEC

http://www.truthsolutions.com/

Author: Start to Finish Guide to SQL Server Performance Monitoring

http://www.netimpress.com/

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• Many thanks.

---------------------------------------
    It is by the Beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed,
    the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply