Page Life Expectancy is too low

• Good Day all

I started receiving these alert messages, and after doing some re-search still can't figure out how to totally resolve it. From what I gather the value Microsoft stipulates 300 for PLE is not accurate if you running a 64 bit OS and dependent of the amount of RAM you allocate to SQL.

If I allocate 20 Gig of RAM to SQL, The PLE should not drop below 1500 - (PLE should be 300 for every 4 GB of RAM) (20/4)*300

During the course of the day it sometimes drops below 1500, so my question is how can I further see why and what query is causing this to happen???

I setup a monitoring job as mentioned by Steve Hood to capture results for me every 20 min.

• Chapter 4 - http://www.red-gate.com/community/books/accidental-dba. All about memory, memory contention.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I have no idea where you got that formula from, but I personally never use PLE any longer for monitoring. I would not be concerned at all about your occasional dips below 1500.

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

• From the author of the book recommended by Gail, here is an article that talks about the formula and such.

http://www.sqlskills.com/blogs/jonathan/finding-what-queries-in-the-plan-cache-use-a-specific-index/

Best piece of advice there is this nugget

Don’t use the value 300 as any kind of Page Life Expectancy threshold. Anyone that continues to recommend doing so is doing you a disservice. Use an adaptive formula like (DataCacheSizeInGB/4GB*300). Even better – monitor the steady-state value of PLE and react when it dips *and stays* below your steady-state value.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Thanks a lot for all the assistance, that book that Gila mentioned is quite useful and not only for accidental DBA's :-D....

• SQL_Student (2/19/2014)

Thanks a lot for all the assistance, that book that Gail mentioned is quite useful and not only for accidental DBA's :-D....

+1

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• SQL_Student (2/19/2014)

Thanks a lot for all the assistance, that book that Gila mentioned is quite useful and not only for accidental DBA's :-D....

Thank you.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply