Page Verify = Checksum

• Hi

I'm belated changing the page verification option for a database from NONE to CHECKSUM.  I'm aware this only affects future writes to the database, and existing pages won't have that checksum calculated until they are updated or the relevant tables or indexes are rebuilt.

My question is: would an ALTER INDEX ... REORGANIZE also cause checksums to be calculated?  If not, why not?

Thanks

Gary

• I'd say that REORGANIZE is unlikely to because it touches so few pages normally when it changes indexes. A REBUILD on the other hand, that might do it. I only say "might" because I haven't tested it. I'm pretty sure, rebuilding all indexes, rewrites most of the pages in a database.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Thanks Grant - you're right, a REBUILD will write far more pages than a REORGANIZE, probably all of them in the table/index concerned.  I was just hoping that those few pages moved by a reorg might have had their checksums set, to incrementally increase the amount of corruption detection slowly over time.  It wouldn't cost a lot to do so.

• also to be kept in mind: heaps.

You should rebuild heaps too, to activate the checksum mechanism.

Alter table [yourschema].[yourtable] rebuild

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply