PageIOLatch_SH

• Hi,

All of a sudden we are getting alot of PageIoLatch_SH waits for all the queries on one of our servers. What we figured out is DISK IO usage was very high when we get these waits, but we dont understand what is causing these high disk IOs. One thing is sure that disk IOs are not high becuase of these queries infact its the other way around. Because these queries were running fine and return data under one second most of the times till we start getting these high disk IOs today.

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Usman

• You may want to check what other jobs are running on the server at the same time. We had cases of Antivirus SW, Backup jobs etc contributed to high IO

Regards,Yelena Varsha

• Thanks for replying Yelena, i have already checked that and its not caused by any other job or antivirus atleast.

• High IOs can also be caused by low physical memory, check if something memory-intensive is running, in this case paging can be a reason for the IO activity.

Regards,Yelena Varsha

• didn't find anything memory intensive, everything looks normal on that side.

Now on the web page side we are getting "Data provider or other service returned an E_FAIL status" error due to disk congestion.

• EDIT: Nevermind, after re-reading I'm not sure what the problem is. Maybe someone else does or there could be a problem with your disk, or something?

• Hi Usman,

another cause of this could be out of date statistics or badly fragmented indexes. Do you regularly perform maintenance on these databases?

There are various built-in functions in SQL Server that you can use to determine whether a specific database has high I/O's. Which version of SQL are you running (2000, 2005, 2008)?

• Just to make sure. Did you check the SQL logs. Also check that you have sufficiant space left on all the databases in the server. Especialy check the log files and temp DB. To check IO generated by SQL use:

select spid,physical_io fio

into #f

from sysprocesses where spid > 50

waitfor delay '00:00:02'

select s.spid,fio,physical_io,physical_io-fio used

from sysprocesses s join #f on s.spid = #f.spid

where s.spid > 50

order by physical_io - fio desc

drop table #f

This will indicate the io used by SQL user processes.

If you still have a problem please let me know

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Do not reinvent the wheel.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

• Thanks for your response guys, but i have resolved the issue. There was a missing INCLUDED column in an index (how stupid i am).

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply