parameter for sub total

• Hello,

I have a report in SSRS 2005 environment that displays the raw material inventory list. I have attached the excel output. Now, I need to add another parameter with user prompt - Total lbs needed. Then,

When the user enter the number, lets say 2000, the report should display the oldest 2000 lbs weight (net weight field in the report) or close to that.

Thanks

• I am not sure I exactly understand the question. Is the weight field a sum of a group? If the value is the detail then you can just ad a prameter to the report and add that to the query. It might help if you post the query and some additional info.

Dan

If only I could snap my figures and have all the correct indexes apear and the buffer clean and.... Start day dream here.

• Hello Dan,

The net weight field is the sum of net weight ( in lbs) - group by pack date. When the user enter 2000, then the report should gives the top rows whose total net weight should be equal to 2000 or close to that value so that they can pull 2000 lbs oldest inventory from the shelf.

Ganesh

• I do not beleive you can use a prameter against a colculated field like a group total. It may be possible to do something with an expression but that would likely be overly complicated. If you are only showing the totals of a group can you change the SQL query to do the sum and then you can use a parameter agaisnt the query.

Dan

If only I could snap my figures and have all the correct indexes apear and the buffer clean and.... Start day dream here.

• I thought SSRS had a "running total" function that could be used for such things.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Group Filter? Sounds simple, so probably just not quite understanding.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply