Parameters question

• I'm evaluating Reporting Services as I write and, maybe its just my newness to the product, but there doesn't seem to be a way (when interactivity is added) to pass multiple values in a single parameter by using a mult-select box.  For instance, if I want to see sales by state but I don't want to see sales for all states or for just one state, it would be nice to be able to select multiple states using the ctrl key.  Is this possible with Reporting Services? 

Also, is there a way to use custom authentication for security?  We have developed our own security tables and single sign-on processes which are stored within SQL Server and all of our web apps authenticate against those.  Is it possible for Reporting Services to do the same?

Thanks in advance!

Jim Thornton

• You'll have to roll-your-own with the multi-select.

To use custom authentication you'll need to have the Enterprise Edition which supports this functionality.

--------------------
    Colt 45 - the original point and click interface

• Custom Parameters Demonstration

http://www.sqlreportingservices.net/Tools/195.aspx

Does this help?

Greg

• Thanks for the responses!  I really appreciate the help.

From rumors I've heard and from what I can gather, it seems as if RS 2005 will support multi-select boxes.  I hope so.  I'm surprised it wasn't in the original release.  That would be a huge help for me if the rumor were true.

Phil - I was afraid I'd need the Enterprise Edition but wasn't sure.  That's bad for us because we use the SQL Server Standard Edition now and I'm not sure we have the funds to upgrade to SQL Server Enterprise.  Hmmmmm

Greg - thanks for the link - but it looks like I need to have the Hitchiker's... book in order to register and login to that website.

Thanks again,

Jim

• You have to have the book to get the code showing how they did it (multi-select).  But you can register for free to watch a video of it in action.  At least, that is what I did last year. 

Greg

• That's beautiful!  Exactly what I need to do.  Thanks for the help Greg!

Jim

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply