parellel spid identification

• Anyone got a query that returns all spids who break out to parellel spids?

• Don't they all run within the context of that one spid? (Assuming you mean SQL paralellism rather than from an application that is multi-threaded).

• I've got processes who do not have maxdop set therefore on occasion the same spid is breaking out to 10- 20 parellel processes. I'm trying to identify them or better yet track them. I see i can run the below to get them. Now i'm trying to add into this the ability of what's actually running. The sql text.

select spid, COUNT(1) as Counter

from master.dbo.sysprocesses

group by spid

HAVING COUNT(1) >1

• got it.

SELECT *from (

select spid,sql_handle, COUNT(*) as Counter

from master.dbo.sysprocesses

group by spid,sql_handle

HAVING COUNT(1) >1

) dup

CROSS APPLY sys.Dm_exec_sql_text(sql_handle) sp

• I use something like this, any good to you?

Cheers

USE master

GO

SELECT sp.kpid as thread,

r.session_id, s.login_name, s.nt_user_name, s.host_name, r.open_transaction_count,

r.start_time, r.status, r.command, DB_NAME(r.database_id) AS [Database], r.blocking_session_id, r.wait_type, r.wait_time,

r.total_elapsed_time, r.cpu_time, r.reads, r.logical_reads, r.writes, r.row_count,

r.percent_complete, r.estimated_completion_time, r.estimated_completion_time/60000 as MinutesLeft,

SUBSTRING(st.text, (r.statement_start_offset/2)+1, ((CASE r.statement_end_offset WHEN -1 THEN DATALENGTH(st.text) ELSE r.statement_end_offset END - r.statement_start_offset)/2) + 1) AS statement_text,

st.text AS Full_Statement

FROM sys.dm_exec_requests r

outer APPLY sys.dm_exec_sql_text(r.sql_handle) AS st

left join sysprocesses sp on sp.spid = r.session_id

left join sys.dm_exec_sessions s on s.session_id = r.session_id

WHERE r.session_id <> @@SPID

order by s.session_id, sp.kpid;

• looking it over....thanks

• No problem. Hadn't realised there was a sql_handle field in sysprocesses as well. Probably comes from the same place under the covers in any case!

• changed it slightly. changed the status to ISNULL(sp.status,r.status). and added a left join to the sys.dm_exec_procedure_stats view so i can get the proc name and it's status seems to be more realistic. One thing i dont understand and it may be because im joining to the sys.dm_exec_procedure_stats on sql_handle. But how come i get some records who are obviously running a stored procedure as u can tell by the Full_statement column yet they're not getting returned from the sys.dm_exec_procedure_stats view

SELECT Object_name(ps.object_id) ,

sp.spid,sp.kpid as thread,

r.session_id, s.login_name, s.nt_user_name, s.host_name, r.open_transaction_count,

r.start_time, ISNULL(sp.status,r.status) status, r.command, DB_NAME(r.database_id) AS [Database], r.blocking_session_id, r.wait_type, r.wait_time,

r.total_elapsed_time, r.cpu_time, r.reads, r.logical_reads, r.writes, r.row_count,

r.percent_complete, r.estimated_completion_time, r.estimated_completion_time/60000 as MinutesLeft,

SUBSTRING(st.text, (r.statement_start_offset/2)+1, ((CASE r.statement_end_offset WHEN -1 THEN DATALENGTH(st.text) ELSE r.statement_end_offset END - r.statement_start_offset)/2) + 1) AS statement_text,

st.text AS Full_Statement

FROM sys.dm_exec_requests r

OUTER APPLY sys.Dm_exec_sql_text(r.sql_handle) AS st

LEFT JOIN MASTER.dbo.sysprocesses sp

ON sp.spid = r.session_id

LEFT JOIN sys.dm_exec_sessions s

ON s.session_id = r.session_id

LEFT JOIN sys.dm_exec_procedure_stats ps

ON r.sql_handle = ps.sql_handle

WHERE r.session_id <> @@SPID

AND Db_name(r.database_id) = 'VOS12000000'

AND ISNULL(sp.status,r.status) <>'background'

ORDER BY sp.spid

,s.session_id

,sp.kpid;

• also, is there a way i can get the actual proc call w/ the input params and all if it exists?

• BaldingLoopMan (8/24/2012)

But how come i get some records who are obviously running a stored procedure as u can tell by the Full_statement column yet they're not getting returned from the sys.dm_exec_procedure_stats view

At a guess, the proc's execution plan isn't cached - sys.dm_exec_procedure_stats only holds info for procs in the cache.

is there a way i can get the actual proc call w/ the input params and all if it exists?

I don't know of a way directly in the query. You might be able to get the info from DBCC INPUTBUFFER. Otherwise, you may need to go to Profiler to get what you need.

• Now we're cookin.

One of my issues is i'm getting execution plans on occation going really really bad and i'm trying to monitor when it happens. So here's what i got nd tell me if my logic is sound. Below will return all procs called in last 5 second sorted by reads. it also returns the cached_time, and size of cached plan in bytes. Theoretically if a plan is cached badly for whatever reason one day, is it safe to assume that the size of cached plan in bytes will grow relative to when it had a good optimized exec plan?

SELECT Db_name(ps.database_id) DatabaseName

,Object_name(ps.object_id) ProcName

,ps.last_logical_reads

,ps.last_physical_reads

,cached_time

,last_execution_time

, size_in_bytes

FROM sys.dm_exec_procedure_stats ps

outer APPLY sys.Dm_exec_sql_text(sql_handle) s

LEFT JOIN (SELECT sp.name procname

,*

FROM sys.dm_exec_cached_plans AS cp

CROSS APPLY sys.Dm_exec_sql_text(plan_handle) a

LEFT JOIN sys.procedures sp

ON sp.object_id = a.objectid

WHERE cp.cacheobjtype = N'Compiled Plan'

) tt

ON tt.procname = Object_name(ps.object_id)

WHERE Object_name(ps.object_id) IS NOT NULL

AND last_execution_time >= Dateadd(mi, -5, Getdate())

ORDER BY ps.last_logical_reads DESC

Theoretically if a plan is cached badly for whatever reason one day, is it safe to assume that the size of cached plan in bytes will grow relative to when it had a good optimized exec plan?

Well, it's not an assumption I'd rely on to be honest.

I think you might be better off using Profiler here - looking for the SP:Recompile and SP:CacheMiss events would be a good start.

Of course, if what you've got is working for you, don't let me stop you 🙂

Theoretically if a plan is cached badly for whatever reason one day, is it safe to assume that the size of cached plan in bytes will grow relative to when it had a good optimized exec plan?

No. The size of the plan in bytes has no relation at all to how efficient the plan is.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Is there a way to querry the estimated reads from a cached exec plan?

Also, why would there be multiple records for a given proc name in th below. Are there multiple cached plans for a given proc? I show one w siz_in_bytes = 560000 and user count = 1 and the same proc again in there w/ size_in_bytes = 5,750,000 and used count = 1508. Whats that all about?

select *

from sys.dm_exec_cached_plans

• sys.dm_exec_query_stats.

Not estimated, aggregated actual performance statistics. There would be no point in estimated reads.

There shouldn't be multiple plans for a procedure, unless it gets called from apps with different set options (some set options are plan cache keys, some aren't).

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply