Parent/Child - where I am standing

• Lynn Pettis - Wednesday, December 26, 2018 2:06 PM

A good explanation of Common Core Math but a complete straw man argument for prohibiting using numeric values as identifiers.   It also makes the assumption that all users are that stupid.  Some may be if the system is properly documented (questionable at times) your assumptions are just that, assumptions.

The problem is, the answer was totally incorrect.  The correct answer is "Thursday divided by Yellow". 😉

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Lynn Pettis - Wednesday, December 26, 2018 2:06 PM

jcelko212 32090 - Tuesday, December 25, 2018 10:20 AM

A good explanation of Common Core Math but a complete straw man argument for prohibiting using numeric values as identifiers.   It also makes the assumption that all users are that stupid.  Some may be if the system is properly documented (questionable at times) your assumptions are just that, assumptions.

I hate to say it, but I've been doing this for about 50 years now. I've also found that the assumption users are stupid is pretty safe. And that the system is seldom properly documented.. However, what I'm talking about is ISO standards, metadata committee standards, Unicode standards, basic data modeling, etc.:crying: However, what I'm talking about is ISO standards, metadata committee standards, Unicode standards, basic data modeling, etc.

Please post DDL and follow ANSI/ISO standards when asking for help. 

• jcelko212 32090 - Thursday, December 27, 2018 2:35 PM

I hate to say it, but I've been doing this for about 50 years now. I've also found that the assumption users are stupid is pretty safe. And that the system is seldom properly documented.. However, what I'm talking about is ISO standards, metadata committee standards, Unicode standards, basic data modeling, etc.:crying: However, what I'm talking about is ISO standards, metadata committee standards, Unicode standards, basic data modeling, etc.

You and your ISO Standards.  I am still waiting for you to provide me with my free and complete set of those standards including all yearly updates until I retire.

• Lynn Pettis - Thursday, December 27, 2018 2:46 PM

You and your ISO Standards.  I am still waiting for you to provide me with my free and complete set of those standards including all yearly updates until I retire.

Heh... You'll get a real kick out of this, Lynn.  There have been several times I've challenged Joe on the ISO standards when it comes to acceptable date formats (and I have a copy of the standards and can challenge by paragraph number without violating copyright laws).  When he did finally reply to one of my challenges, his response was basically that there are many "standards" based on the ISO standards and that they don't necessarily agree with the ISO standards because of different application requirements.  I wish I kept the link where that short exchange occurred.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jeff Moden - Thursday, December 27, 2018 3:26 PM

Heh... You'll get a real kick out of this, Lynn.  There have been several times I've challenged Joe on the ISO standards when it comes to acceptable date formats (and I have a copy of the standards and can challenge by paragraph number without violating copyright laws).  When he did finally reply to one of my challenges, his response was basically that there are many "standards" based on the ISO standards and that they don't necessarily agree with the ISO standards because of different application requirements.  I wish I kept the link where that short exchange occurred.

I think I remember that exchange.  Not sure where it is either.  It was funny.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply