Parsing single and double quotes

• SELECT 'ActionTime' = actiontime, 'Line' = line, 'PhoneNumber' = phonenumber, 'ActionType' = cat.ActionDescription,  'ActionTypeID' = ce.ActionTypeID, 'Agent' = Param1, 'Reason' = Param3, 'AgentID' = Param1, 'ServID' = s.ID, 'MenuAction' = Param2, 'MenuName' = ""

when I executed procedure with the the previous SELECT statement in it on one machine it worked fine, but when I tried executing it on a friends machine it gave me following error message

Server: Msg 1038, Level 15, State 3, Procedure AcdCallDetails_IVR_2_0_0, Line 56

Cannot use empty object or column names. Use a single space if necessary.

The problem is the last part of the SELECT statement

'MenuName' = ""    if I change it to 'MenuName' = ''  it works fine.

what is different on our machines? we are in the same room, so same localization, we have same copy of SQL Server Query Analyzer. How can I make it so I do not get error messages no matter what machine I try to execute it on?

Thanks a bunch,

Amira

• Check the quoted identifier setting on your connections they should be different if you get those results. IMO you should use Menuename = '' instead of Menuename = "" and make sure that you don't use quoted identifiers but the right answer is 'depends on the environment' and I don't have enough info for that.

HTH

* Noel

• Hi Amira,

In Query Analyzer, go to -> Tools -> Options -> Hit the Connection Properties tab.

Then check the 'Set quoted identifier' box on your machine and apply it.

You should all have this option set really.........

Have fun

Steve

We need men who can dream of things that never were.

• I already had "set quoted identifier" checked. so it is not that. but thanks for the help.

amira

• Steve meant to say "clear the checkbox" for set quoted identifier. When "set quoted identifier" is on, double quotes indicate column names. I always use single quotes for string constants and leave "set quoted identifier" on.

• thanks a bunch, it worked

regards,

amira

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply