Participation

• I think it's only really important to voice your opinion if it's relevant and progresses the conversation in one way or another. Everybody voicing their opinion is what causes long, unproductive meetings. Often people will just re-iterate what's already been said in their own words so that they can feel important, and a part of the team.

That said, as long as I get paid for the meeting, I don't care if it takes 10 times as long as it needs to 😀

• Participate if you can add something. Not everywhere or every time, but become involved, at least where you have some ideas, skills, or strong opinions. Especially at work. I think it's part of your duty as an employee.

There are definitely times to not participate as well. Judging those is something you have to learn, and you'll make some mistakes, but don't give up.

• I have often brought items to the attention of my boss or his boss that I thought they might not be aware of. I believe it's part of my job even though it's not explicitly in my job description. I also believe it's appropriate for to voice when you DO agree with someone else in a meeting -- not to be a sycophant, but as a way of supporting that individual and working toward concensus. It's not necessary to repeat what others have said. Simply saying "Steve makes an excellent point." is sufficient.

• Voting is important for everyone and a reminder to the women:

Just a short 90 years ago females were arrested, imprisoned and brutally assaulted for picketing for the priviledge to vote. Use your privilege. It was our grandmothers generation-not ancient history.

• jpowers (11/4/2008)

majorbloodnock (11/4/2008)

Shaun McGuile (11/4/2008)

There are people who post or have forum names which maintain their anonimity, are they acting under 'false' pretenses? 😀

Well, I'm not a real Major, so guilty as charged, I suppose.... :blush:

I always thought you had been promoted from your former position as Captain Blood Loss.

Nah. Never got past Corporal Punishment 😛

Semper in excretia, sumus solum profundum variat

• Julie Breutzmann (11/4/2008)

... I also believe it's appropriate for to voice when you DO agree with someone else in a meeting -- not to be a sycophant, but as a way of supporting that individual and working toward concensus. It's not necessary to repeat what others have said. Simply saying "Steve makes an excellent point." is sufficient.

Agreed, otherwise Warnock applies, even outside forums.

(Marvellous. I've been waiting for years for an opportunity to bring that up legitimately ;))

Semper in excretia, sumus solum profundum variat

• hmmm maybe I sould change my name to majorwarnock 😀

but then I wouldn't post replies........hmmm bad idea 😀

Hiding under a desk from SSIS Implemenation Work :crazy:

• It's OK to express an opinion as long as it is not percieved as complaining. I have found that I am listened to more when I present ideas for solutions with every problem that I bring up.

I am very fortunate to be able to call on the resources of others to brainstorm solutions. With the team effort to solve a problem, the decisions makers listen because the opinions are researched, supported, and well formed.

There are many opportunities to form these brain storming sessions: lunch, small meetings, in the breakroom. Even complaint sessions in the hallway can prove productive with the question, "So what would you do?"

To back up the point that Steve is trying to make, as employees, we then have the responsibility to report these good ideas to managment. Don't forget to give the credit for these good ideas; your co-workers will appreciate it and be more likely to come up with more.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply