Pass Node of XML as parameter in XQuery

• I have a column in which each row has XML file and XML file has so many NOdes .

My query is to "pass the XML node as parameter and get the respective node value from each row

• Hmm, I'm not sure that there is a good way to do this.

It sounds like someone wants an "XML Cursor" and there really isn't such a thing in T-SQL. An "XML Node" is not a datatype in SQL Server, it's just a temporal query context into an XML object and cannot be used outside of a single query, AFAIK. The closest that you could come would probably be some XML fragment string or XQuery instance-type string that could be used to represent a particular node in an XML object. And I don't see that as being either easy or efficient.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• Are you sure you're not looking for something like the xml.nodes() method from the SQLXML functionality? This does allow you to pass in a single XML datatype, and split it up into multiple XML "sub-items" (again, not specifically treated as XML Nodes, just as another XML fragment).

You could run a query that looks something like

select a2.b3.query('.')

from @myXML.nodes('/MyXPathStatementToTheNodes/.') as a2(b3)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• If your question has not been answered yet by either Barry or Matt then it would really help if you could provide a short sample of what you're trying to do:

Sample data, search value and expected result.

Lutz
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question[/url]
    How to post performance related questions[/url]
    Links for Tally Table [/url] , Cross Tabs [/url] and Dynamic Cross Tabs [/url], Delimited Split Function[/url]

• Thanks Barry and Matt for the reply

I think I was not explained the problem clearly in above text .

now I am going to explain it by example :

<FormHeader> <txtFieldSubmitURLH>http://localhost/Publish/</txtFieldSubmitURLH&gt;

<chkViewH>0</chkViewH>

<chkPublishH>1</chkPublishH>

</FormHeader>

above is my XML file , I have table(tblStudentXmlData) which has column(strXMLString) in which each row has this XML file with their respective data .

SELECT

strXMLString.value('(//txtFieldSubmitURLH)[1]','varchar(255)')

FROM tblStudentXmlData

above Query is running perfectly fine,but I want to pass the node(txtFieldSubmitURLH) as parameter like below .

DECLARE @strFieldName varchar(200)

SET @strFieldName = 'txtFieldSubmitURLH'

SELECT

strXMLString.value('(//@strFieldName)[1]','varchar(255)')

FROM tblStudentXmlData

SELECT

strXMLString.value('(sql:variable("@strFieldName"))[1]','varchar(255)')

FROM tblStudentXmlData

I tried like above but nothing was working

I hope , I have explained my query better than before

• You're looking to do some form of Dynamic SQL. In other words - you will have to build the SQL statement in a varchar variable, then use EXEC or sp_executeSQL to run it. You cannot unfortunately use variables in that particular way to dynamically pick the XML node name.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• And just to warn you ahead of time: If you are looking to write this as a T-SQL Function, be aware that they do not allow dynamic SQL. Kind of a catch-22... 🙁

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• Hi Barry ,

can you explain me by example ,

how to resolve the above problem by Function .

Thanks

• What you could use is a query like the one below.

The disadvantage is that it will query all nodes on each and every level within the file.

What I'm trying to say: I wouldn't recommend using it agains a large XML file.

DECLARE @xml XML

DECLARE @strFieldName VARCHAR(200)

SET @strFieldName = 'txtFieldSubmitURLH'

SET @xml='<FormHeader> <txtFieldSubmitURLH>http://localhost/Publish/</txtFieldSubmitURLH&gt;

<chkViewH>0</chkViewH>

<chkPublishH>1</chkPublishH>

</FormHeader>'

SELECT

y.value('local-name(.)', 'VARCHAR(50)') AS FieldName,

y.value('(.)', 'VARCHAR(50)') AS val

FROM @xml.nodes('//FormHeader') t(c)

CROSS APPLY

t.c.nodes('*') x(y)

WHERE y.value('local-name(.)', 'VARCHAR(50)') = @strFieldName

/* result set

FieldName val

txtFieldSubmitURLH http://localhost/Publish/

*/

Lutz
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question[/url]
    How to post performance related questions[/url]
    Links for Tally Table [/url] , Cross Tabs [/url] and Dynamic Cross Tabs [/url], Delimited Split Function[/url]

• The Local Name option is the only one I know of for this that would work in a query. I've used it, and it does work, but it can be quite slow on a large table. Performance on it can be improved with a Path XML Index, but don't expect it to be fast if the table is large or the XML is substantial.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Thanks SSCrazy

its working fine

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply