Passing 70-228

• Anyone have any reccomendations about how to pass 228? I have the Microsoft Press book, but find it very hard to understand. I have never really done a SQL Server 2000 install, nor setup replication. I have, done some of the administrative tasks, like manage logins and set up automating some admin tasks.

Do you have any advice on what to do in order to successfully pass this exam?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Michael

• You really need to gain some hands-on experience with SQL Server before taking the test. If you don't have a test lab at your company, then you need to setup one at home. You can download at evaluation version of SQL Server 2000 here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=D20BA6E1-F44C-4781-A6BB-F60E02DC1335&displaylang=en

You might want to consider a different book to learn the material as I found the MS Press book was not optimized for learning, just memorizing. The MS Press book is just a duplicate of SQL Books Online organized for the test objectives. I recommend the Que or Sybex books.

For some tips on taking the test, check out this link:

http://www.examnotes.net/article1042813.html

• Jouneryman, what would you consider a approiate test lab?  I'm in a similiar situation, and have been advised that you really need to do some hands-on work with SQL Server to really know it.  I have a single system at home with SQL2K running on WIN2K Server, would you consider that approiate hardware set-up to learn SQL2K?

Thanks.

• I looked at the Sybex book for 228 at the bookstore today and it looks like excatly what I need. A lot of hands on tutorials and examples. Thanks for reccomending it. I just ordered it.

When I get it, I will set up sql server on my computer and go from there.

Thanks for the advice!

Michael

• Vpatel - yes, a one server setup is enough to learn the material for the test. There are some things that you cannot do with just one server such as replication and creating linked servers, but understanding the concepts is enough for 70-228. There are a lot of exhibits in the test, so know how to analyze the Enterprise Manager screens and what steps you would take for administrative tasks.

• Hi,

I recommend also to read Part 2 Installation and Setup of Microsoft SQL Server Administrator's Companion. This Part 2 has an excellent description of RAIDS, disks and installation planning for the proper hardware. Everything else I used from the Microsoft MCSE Microsoft SQL Server 2000 System Administration Training Kit. I would also recommend Trancender's preparation materials for this exam.

Yelena

Regards,Yelena Varsha

• Just wanted to add: 70-228 may be comlemented next year with the next version of the exam. I still advise to read everything that is mentioned above because basics will not probably change, but get 2005 books as soon as they are out

Regards,Yelena Varsha

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply