Passing Variables

• Hi,

I have become a bit stuck with this script I am building, any help would be appreciated.

DECLARE @Date nvarchar (100),

@SQL nvarchar (4000),

@SQL2 nvarchar (4000)

Set @Date = 'IRR_HBDE_PRD'+'_db_' + convert(varchar, getdate(), 102)

IF OBJECT_ID('tempdb..#DirectoryTree') IS NOT NULL DROP TABLE #DirectoryTree;

CREATE TABLE #DirectoryTree (id int IDENTITY(1,1),subdirectory nvarchar(512),depth int,isfile bit);

INSERT #DirectoryTree (subdirectory,depth,isfile)EXEC master.sys.xp_dirtree 'O:\MSSQL10_50.LIVE910MSSQL\MSSQL\Backup\SQLRestores\IRR_HBDE_PRD',1,1;

set @SQL = 'SELECT subdirectory FROM #DirectoryTree WHERE isfile = 1 AND RIGHT(subdirectory,4) = ''.BAK''

AND subdirectory LIKE '''+@Date+'%'''

PRINT @SQL

SET @SQL2 = 'RESTORE DATABASE [IRR_HBDE_PRD1] FROM DISK = N''O:\MSSQL10_50.LIVE910MSSQL\MSSQL\Backup\SQLRestores\IRR_HBDE_PRD\'+@SQL+''' WITH FILE = 1, NOUNLOAD, REPLACE, STATS = 10'

PRINT @SQL2

The output I get is below but the part in bold should be the backup file name, how can I correct this?:

SELECT subdirectory FROM #DirectoryTree WHERE isfile = 1 AND RIGHT(subdirectory,4) = '.BAK'

AND subdirectory LIKE 'IRR_HBDE_PRD_db_2014.01.19%'

RESTORE DATABASE [IRR_HBDE_PRD1] FROM DISK = N'O:\MSSQL10_50.LIVE910MSSQL\MSSQL\Backup\SQLRestores\IRR_HBDE_PRD\SELECT subdirectory FROM #DirectoryTree WHERE isfile = 1 AND RIGHT(subdirectory,4) = '.BAK'

AND subdirectory LIKE 'IRR_HBDE_PRD_db_2014.01.19%'' WITH FILE = 1, NOUNLOAD, REPLACE, STATS = 10

• Bit hard for me to check if this works, but what you're looking to do is populate a variable with the returned result from the query. At the moment you're just populating the variable with the statement

DECLARE @Date nvarchar (100),

@SQL nvarchar (4000),

@SQL2 nvarchar (4000)

Set @Date = 'IRR_HBDE_PRD'+'_db_' + convert(varchar, getdate(), 102)

--Add wildcard to end of variable

SELECT @Date = RTRIM(@Date) + '%';

SELECT @Date;

IF OBJECT_ID('tempdb..#DirectoryTree') IS NOT NULL DROP TABLE #DirectoryTree;

CREATE TABLE #DirectoryTree (id int IDENTITY(1,1),subdirectory nvarchar(512),depth int,isfile bit);

INSERT #DirectoryTree (subdirectory,depth,isfile)EXEC master.sys.xp_dirtree 'O:\MSSQL10_50.LIVE910MSSQL\MSSQL\Backup\SQLRestores\IRR_HBDE_PRD',1,1;

--set @SQL = 'SELECT subdirectory FROM #DirectoryTree WHERE isfile = 1 AND RIGHT(subdirectory,4) = ''.BAK''

--AND subdirectory LIKE '''+@Date+'%'''

--Populate variable with result not statement

set @sql = (SELECT subdirectory FROM #DirectoryTree WHERE isfile = 1 AND RIGHT(subdirectory,4) = '.BAK'

AND subdirectory LIKE @Date)

PRINT @SQL

SET @SQL2 = 'RESTORE DATABASE [IRR_HBDE_PRD1] FROM DISK = N''O:\MSSQL10_50.LIVE910MSSQL\MSSQL\Backup\SQLRestores\IRR_HBDE_PRD\'+@SQL+''' WITH FILE = 1, NOUNLOAD, REPLACE, STATS = 10'

PRINT @SQL2

This get you roughly where you want?

• you my friend are a hero!

For some reason I couldn't get my head around it.

Thank you.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply