password is not stored in the connection string

• Hello guys,

I am new SSIS and have a small question...My connection string is not saving passwords and i know we can store the password in the config file but not sure what type of objects have to be stored...I created a config file from SSIS Menu tab but that doesn't work...I believe i am missing some objects in the configuration file

• Ok, first of all what is your package protection level? By default it is EncryptSensitiveWithUserKey..

Within the package, right click on a clear spot in the control flow and choose Package Configurations.

Check the box to say enable package configurations.

At this point you can add a configuration file.. That file can contain as few or as many individual configurations as you like. I tend to do one per connection OR if two connections are ALWAYS changed together I might put them in the same file. At that point the package will try to use the file..

As a side note, you can re-use the same file all over a project if the connections are named the same in each package, which I view as a best practice. For example if you have a connection to people soft you might name it PeopleSoft.PS85, notice I didn't include a reference to whether it was prod, dev, QC, pre-prod, or whatever. Then whenever you need to define the connection all you do is reference that config file.

One of the ideas is that the config file defines what environment you are actually targeting and this way the package can go through your QC process without ANY changes to the code and the only change is the config file. I have had GREAT success with this method and in environments with strong life-cycle processes changing the code as it moves from environment to environment is a HUGE no-no..

CEWII

• Thanks for the details explanation.....

• You are very welcome.

CEWII

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply