Password problem in Enterprise Manager

• Hi everyone,

It's my understanding that passwords in SQL Server 2000 can be 128 characters.   I have a SQl Server Authentication login that has a 50 character pwd.   When I try to register a SQL Server in Enterprise Manager (EM) using this login I can't do it.  I get an error that says "Login failed for user " followed by the name of the user.

However if I merely shorten the password length to say, 15 characters I can then register the sql server using that same login.

I've double and triple checked that I was using the right password when it was the long one and I know I used the correct one.   I've alternated back and forth between short passwords and long ones and the long ones keep failing when I try to register the server.   I found articles on the microsoft site about a similar problem when setting the login/pwd for SQL Server Agent.

Does anyone know if there is a limitation on the length of a password for a login that will be used to register a SQL Server in SQL Server 2000?

• I do not know of any limitations but apparently the problem does exist ... Here's a link I googled ...

http://archives.devshed.com/a/ng/373-78/Password-Length-Issue-With-SQL-Server-2000

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

• I just tested this on a server ( Windows 2000 SP4, SQL Server 2000 SP3a ) and it worked fine. I created a SQL Server login call LONGTEST with a 50-character password. I used:

0123456789abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

I didn't have any problem registering the server in EM using the SQL login id and password.

• mkeast is correct I've just perfomed the same test and it works (I should have tried it first ... doh !).

user --> long_password

password --> 0123456789abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Maybe it's a service pack issue ? I'm running SQL2K, SP3A and hot-fix 818

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

• Hi Again,

to test the length limits, I piggybacked the password as follows

0123456789abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ0123456789abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

and thereby made it 100 characters long, and it failed.  I was able to use your 50-character pwd though.  Strange.

• According to my tests, the maximum is actually 63 characters. 63 works, 64 fails. I wonder if there is a unicode issue that cuts the 128 in half. Interesting.

I must say, if I had to use a password that long, I'd go crazy. Although, I guess that would be could for the sa password, if it is used infrequently (or not at all). I switch to passphrases in that case.

Let me clarify - I can set a 128 character password, I just can't connect through EM with a password longer than 63 characters.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply