Pay Ranges

• degree in Behavioral Neuroscience

Are you kidding me :w00t: I donโ€™t share the same degree but I guess share interest. I read Psychology when I get bored of technical articles. :doze:

Itโ€™s too much for public (not interested in our conversation). I guess we should start PM now ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Let's rephrase the question, if I were planning to hire a DBA etc... What salary range should I be planning to budget for.

• krowley (12/23/2011)

Let's rephrase the question, if I were planning to hire a DBA etc... What salary range should I be planning to budget for.

Well... Where is the job? Chicago would be anywhere from 60k to over 100k. Denver may be less... You really have to look at something like salary.com

Jared
    CE - Microsoft

• SQLKnowItAll (12/22/2011)

It is just a selling point for me that helps me negotiate since I cannot use years of experience. I have only been a DBA for 3 years and my previous company it was more of a title than a description.

I've found that a "List of Major Accomplishments" right near the front of the CV is more important than how long you've had the job.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jeff Moden (12/23/2011)

SQLKnowItAll (12/22/2011)

It is just a selling point for me that helps me negotiate since I cannot use years of experience. I have only been a DBA for 3 years and my previous company it was more of a title than a description.

I've found that a "List of Major Accomplishments" right near the front of the CV is more important than how long you've had the job.

Bwahaha! (To quote you) What if you had none! ๐Ÿ™‚ I suppose I had a couple, unfortunately they were all Project Development and BI and nothing to do directly with DBA. I still used them in my CV, but they had a lesser effect. I can certainly add some to the list now though.

Jared
    CE - Microsoft

• Dev (12/23/2011)

In my case I also have 2 post-graduate degrees, one of which pertains managing a business and understanding these types of things. Like a techy MBA ๐Ÿ™‚

It is just a selling point for me that helps me negotiate since I cannot use years of experience.

@Jared: Now we have one more thing in common (after SQL Server) i.e. MBA

And it's NOT just a selling point for me, itโ€™s more than that. It helps me a lot when I start reading my customer's (or Business Analyst's) mind. Not sure for OLTP designs but BI application requires business understanding. By the time my competitors (companies) finish up their study on business, I usually finish up business proposal & grab the customer. ๐Ÿ˜Ž

In 20 years, I've had one potential employer tell me they couldn't hire me because they had a policy requiring a degree for any technical or management position

@Gus: I can understand this requirement for Management Positions but making it a MUST for technical positions is a BAD decision anyways. As long as candidate is skilful, degree doesnโ€™t matter.

I think you should make him realise his mistake by sending your SSC profile. When he will see you helping others on SQL platform he will not repeat his mistake and someone else (like you) will get benefits. ๐Ÿ™‚

My SSC data is on my resume. Didn't matter to those guys. They had a company policy about degrees.

But that's "the exception that proves the rule". I've had dozens of potential employers who didn't care one way or the other about a degree. And many who thought that me being a published author (articles on SSC) was a major selling point on my resume, way more important than a degree.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply