Performance

• Hi,

This is an interview question.

Lets say some one come to you and say production server is responding slow. User complain about performance of production system. As a DBA where should we start to work from in this situation.

What your experiance say ? Like to have all sort of available options I mean all possible area we can start from.

Regards,

• http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Search1-2-1.aspx?SessionID=qqepqxjqectt1q45bhztsfqb&SortBy=12&SortOrder=1

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This thing is addressing problems that dont exist. Its solution-ism at its worst. We are dumbing down machines that are inherently superior. - Gilfoyle

• 2005_DBA (7/30/2010)

Hi,

This is an interview question.

Lets say some one come to you and say production server is responding slow. User complain about performance of production system. As a DBA where should we start to work from in this situation.

What your experiance say ? Like to have all sort of available options I mean all possible area we can start from.

Regards,

Google it , you will get enormous amount of case studies(forum's post ) and articles.

-------Bhuvnesh----------
    I work only to learn Sql Server...though my company pays me for getting their stuff done;-)

• 2005_DBA (7/30/2010)

What your experiance say ?

That you need more information before you start. Most important being:

Is it always slow, or it this unusual?

Is everything slow or just one query?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Henrico Bekker (7/30/2010)

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Search1-2-1.aspx?SessionID=qqepqxjqectt1q45bhztsfqb&SortBy=12&SortOrder=1

Returns:

Sorry your search results have expired within our database. Search results are held for around 30 minutes. You will need to perform your search again.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• Real world database errors on a SQL forum - you gotta love that 😀

Hope this helps,
    Rich

[p]
    [/p]

• RichardDouglas (7/30/2010)

Real world database errors on a SQL forum - you gotta love that 😀

It's not a database error. The search results aren't kept around long (for space reasons I would assume). Trying to access a search link after the expiry produces that application error. It's not as if it's saying 'cannot connect to SQL'

Gail Shaw

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply