performance benefit of separating LOG and DATA path

• SQL Server 2008 R2 on Windows Server 2008 R2.

With a Simple recovery model, is there a performance benefit to creating separate LOG and DATA paths?

Thanks!

• I assume you mean diffferent drive instead of different path. Further I assume, the drives come from different physical disk / LUNS.

Yes it will improve even for simple recovery. The quantum will be based on size of your transaction.

Seraj

• Maybe. Depends whether those are separate IO paths or not, whether the DB is IO bottlenecked or not.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I am referring to using separate LUNs (on different SAN RAID groups, that is, different physical disk arrays) for DATA and LOG files, with a simple recovery model.

Is that recommended, or does the simple recovery model make it a moot point?

Thanks!

• Recovery model has nothing to do with it, the log is used almost the same (baring only minimally logged operations) in all three recovery models.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I believe the confusion here lies in what is the simple recovery model.

Everything in SQL Server is logged. The Simple Recovery model merely allows for re-usage of the log file without backups to preserve it for point in time recovery.

The log will still be used at the same volume of writes as bulk.

Edit: ^ As Gail already said. 😉

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply