Performance Degradation Help

• Hey guys,

I have recently moved a database from on 6.5 server (v6.50.416) to another server (v6.50.258). The users of this database are now complaining of their application locking up when one dues an update (the app seems to run a few stored procs to do the updation). The only difference`s in the servers are the old on had 2 procs whereas the old one has one proc, but the new server is still quite powerful.

What could be causing this locking on the new server??? Could it be the service pack?

I know I should be upgrading to 2000 or even 7, but that isn`t an option just now....

Andy.

• Try the service pack but I do believe it is the difference in processors as you don't have as many thread pools servicing requests. Microsoft use the number of processors usually to decide the size of the thread pool. Could also be other issues, have you check Performance Monitor items to see if anything else is showing odd behavior? Also run DBCC SQLPERF(IOSTATS) and DBCC SQLPERF(LRUSTATS2) which will tell you more about the cache. After running SQL Server for a day or two look at Cache Flushes and Free Page Scan (Avg). For best performance Free Page Scan (Avg) should be less than 10 and Cache Flushes less then 100. If your numbers are higher your cache is not large enough to hold your working sets. You can improve performance by adding more memory.

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

• How much mem would you think? The server already has one gig??

You`d think that`d be way powerful enough for just 2/3users!!!!

I don`t know whats going on??

Andy.

• Is the app locking or are there actual db locks? You can run sp_lock while they run their processes to see.

• Try the service pack then 5a plus post 5a patch and see if problem goes away.

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

• Service pack 2 is released.....

I guess to start with you should use profiler to capture events and then analyze the events where it's taking long......

Cheers,

Prakash

Prakash Heda
    Lead DBA Team - www.sqlfeatures.com
    Video sessions on Performance Tuning and SQL 2012 HA

• Let me throw some other ideas at you. I have been in the middle of slowing performance myself.

Take a look at your query plans and see if there are any differences.

"Keep Your Stick On the Ice" ..Red Green

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply