performance differnce between Enterprise vs Standard

• I have a consultant firm telling us that we have to go with SQL Enterprise over SQL Standard. I have asked what features of Enterprise they are using, and they said none. They said it was the performance and scalability of Enterprise that they are recommending. I have asked for those differences in writing, have not heard.

As far as I know, the *.exe between the 2 are the same. It is the advanced features of the Enterprise that makes them different.

The application that they are selling does not even utilize multiple filegroups to distribute i/o.

Are there performance and/or scalability differences?

The application will be running on a Dell r900, 4 - 6 core cpu and 128g ram with 2-dual channel 8g HBA. Subsystem is cx4-960 on 146g disk.

The same? Different?

Thanks,

Joseph

• In most cases Standard edition is suitable for what most people require. Unless you plan to have multi node clusters, require IA64 support, get heavily into partitioning, require compression and encryption or implement various configurations of database mirroring then Standard is suitable.

How many physical CPU sockets does the server have?

Check the comparisions at this link

Are they supplying you the SQL server licences by any chance? 😉

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• I wish they were supplying the license.

That's my rub in this. Because of vendor control, I can not implement the Enterprise features.

Thank you for the link, I will check it out.

• There are 4 sockets in a Dell r900. We use quite a few of them, very nice machines.

I started taking a look at the link last night. There are additional read aheads in ENT and there is optimize parrellization. Both of these can affect performance on large queries and processes. The system will be geared toward short data lookups and OLTP for 4K users.

Will have to weigh this carefully.

Thanks,

joseph

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply