Performance issue advise

• Hi All,

One of our developer said that he is seeing performance issues on our web based application.

So I started a profiler and filtered by application name (.net sqlclinet..) and noticed a procedure is taking 10000 ms to execute and found that it is the culprit

As part of troubleshooting process I ran the same procedure from management studio and noticed it ran less than a sec. Stats and indexes are up to date and execution plan looks fine.

I have also escalated to our infra team for any n/w port issues between websites hosting webserver and backend database server but they didn’t find any errors.

Can you please let me know what else would be the possible reasons for these kind of issues.

• Sarwan (11/30/2012)

I have also escalated to our infra team for any n/w port issues between websites hosting webserver and backend database server but they didn’t find any errors.

Can you please let me know what else would be the possible reasons for these kind of issues.

Well, that would be my first guess when this happens. Just a double check, you're using the same parameters as the call in the trace, right?

Can you log into the web-app machine and place the equivalent call to the Server and see if you're getting any traffic difficulties? If that runs in millisecond speed, your coders will need to figure out what they're doing that's botching up the receive on the data.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• Evil Kraig F -

Well, that would be my first guess when this happens. Just a double check, you're using the same parameters as the call in the trace, right?

Thanks for your reply. Yes,I ran the exact query which I spotted in profiler.

Can you log into the web-app machine and place the equivalent call to the Server and see if you're getting any traffic difficulties? If that runs in millisecond speed, your coders will need to figure out what they're doing that's botching up the receive on the data.

I dont have sql client tools installed on webserver. Thanks for the advice, I will try this option.

• Blocking, waits, different execution plan (due to different set options), etc

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply