performance Issue with input variables

• select count(*) from products where prodID between 20987 and 21003

go

declare @ProdID1 int

declare @prodID2 int

set @ProdID1 = 20987

set @prodID2 = 21003

select count(*) from products where prodID between @ProdID1 and @prodID2

First statement takes 1 second to execute and second statement takes more than one minute. I don't understand what is the problem with using variables.

Thanks

Kiran

• did u use a query execution plan to see where the query is taking its time?

Everything you can imagine is real.

• I would say it is doing an implicit conversion on the data types as the column is not a int. Because of this, all indexes are ignored. The first query, SQL is converting 1234 to the same as the column. The second, it is forced to an int then having to do a second conversion to the actual column data type. When this happens, you cannot use an index and a scan will occur.

Cheers,CrispinI can't die, there are too many people who still have to meet me!It's not a bug, SQL just misunderstood me!

• Investigate parameter sniffing.  Almost certainly to blame here.  If this is in a sproc, consider the WITH RECOMPILE option.

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

• Hi Sir ,

I am new to SQL server .. I am trying to optimize one store procedure

the problem is when i use EXEC store procedure , i am seeing table scan in execution plan

but when i declare the varibles and passthe parameters directly inti the query .. i didn't see any table scan ...

what is the issue , pleae help me regarding this .. because of the tabelscan this store procedures runs very slow .....

thanks in advance

• What is the data type of the Products.ProdID column?

/*****************

If most people are not willing to see the difficulty, this is mainly because, consciously or unconsciously, they assume that it will be they who will settle these questions for the others, and because they are convinced of their own capacity to do this. -Friedrich August von Hayek

*****************/

• Hi Sir ,

Please help me !!

I am trying to optimize one store procedure

The problem is when

I use EXEC store procedure , i am seeing table scan in execution plan

but when i declare the varibles and pass the parameters directly in

the query .. i didn't see any table scan all i see is index Seek ...

what should be the Issuse , please help me regarding this .. because of the tabelscan this store procedures runs very slow .....

Thanks in advance

• Hi Sir ,

Please help me !!

I am trying to optimize one store procedure

The problem is when

I use EXEC store procedure , i am seeing table scan in execution plan

but when i declare the varibles and pass the parameters directly in

the query .. i didn't see any table scan all i see is index Seek ...

what should be the Issuse , please help me regarding this .. because of the tabelscan this store procedures runs very slow .....

Thanks in advance

praveen

Also posted here: http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic744625-360-1.aspx

Please direct replies to that thread. Thank you

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • It sounds like parameter sniffing. If you don't want to specify WITH RECOMPILE, you can also declare local variables and then reassign your input parameters to the local variables. Then SQL Server knows the value of the variables when it determines what path to take. If you're only using the input parameters, SQL Server doesn't know their value at execution time, thus you get the table scan.

input parameter coming into stored proc @ProdID1

then in stored proc....

declare @ProdID1 int

declare @localProdID1 int

set @localProdID1 = @ProdID1

and then use @localProdID1 in your where clause

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply