Performance Monitor a SQL Database

• All,

Does anybody know if it is possible to monitor the resources that are used per database on a SQL Server?

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Carl

• Yep, there's loads of extra counters that get added to Windows Perfmon when you install SQL Server, all you have to do it work out which counters to look at

There's loads of articles on this already so please forgive me if I don't list them again here.

You can either monitor, log information for historical analysis or create alerts for when thresholds get exceeded, it's a pretty useful tool.

• Thanks for the reply Mike.

I have had a look at the different counters in perfmon but can't find any that are of use to me.

The resources that I am trying to find are :

A breakdown of how much of the RAM and how much of the CPU each database on the SQL Server is utilising?

Regards

Carl

• Windows Perfmon can give you a fair amount of info as Mike said, but not the RAM or CPU by database. 

The only way that I can think of to get the CPU by database would be through Profiler.  Setup a trace to capture DatabaseName or DatabaseID (only DatabaseID worked for me) and the CPU.  Load the trace file to a database and then report on the CPU.  Not a great method but should do for some rough work.  Not sure what your need is. 

No idea how to get the RAM by DB.  Let us know if you find a way, I'd certainly be interested.  Memory is allocated to the sqlservr.exe process, which applies to all DB's. 

• RAM and CPU by database ? hmmm ... sounds interesting ... but one has to realize that those are global resources shared by all of the user and system spids within the SQL Server. So it may be possible to get that information but only though an aggregation of user and system processess by database. Then you also run into tempdb (used for lots of stuff by everything on the SQL Server). How would this fit in ?

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply