Performance Monitoring

• Application team is doing performace testing and want to know the top SQL and their execution plans (whether indexes used or not)

Waht exactly I need to configure to get those details?

• Hi gmamata7,

You didn't really say what the top queries are rated by (disk IO, cpu time, etc..)

Here is a query I use to find cached plans with tablescans in them.

I've added some ORDER BY clauses you can use to find the top queries for IO, CPU, most executed, or most re-used. Just uncomment the ORDER BY that applies to your situation.

SELECT TOP 50

Query_Text.text AS [SQL],

Cached_Plan.cacheobjtype,

Cached_Plan.objtype,

DB_NAME(Query_Text.dbid) AS [DatabaseName],

Cached_Plan.usecounts AS [Plan usage],

Query_Plan.query_plan ,

Cached_Plan.*

FROM

sys.dm_exec_cached_plans Cached_Plan

CROSS APPLY

sys.dm_exec_sql_text(Cached_Plan.plan_handle) Query_Text

CROSS APPLY

sys.dm_exec_query_plan(Cached_Plan.plan_handle) Query_Plan

JOIN

sys.dm_exec_query_stats Query_Stats

ON

Cached_Plan.Plan_Handle = Query_Stats.Plan_Handle

WHERE 1 = 1

-- Plan has a tablescan in it...

--AND CAST(Query_Plan.query_plan AS NVARCHAR(MAX)) LIKE ('%Tablescan%')

-- Plan has parallelism in it...

--AND CAST(Query_Plan.query_plan AS NVARCHAR(MAX)) LIKE ('%parallel="1"%')

ORDER BY

-- Highest reuse...

-- usecounts DESC

-- Highest IO...

-- (Query_Stats.total_logical_reads + Query_Stats.total_logical_writes) / Query_Stats.execution_count DESC

-- Highest execution time...

--Query_Stats.total_worker_time / Query_Stats.execution_count DESC

-- Most executed...

--Query_Stats.Execution_Count DESC

I hope this helps.

• gmamata7 (7/17/2012)

Application team is doing performace testing and want to know the top SQL and their execution plans (whether indexes used or not)

Waht exactly I need to configure to get those details?

Not much, by default the reports in the server should be able to get what you're looking for.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• the performance test will be 1 hour and I want to gather performance statistics for that hour only ?

SO do I need run some queries continuously or configure Profiler?

• You can restart the server before the test and see the reports as Craig Farrell suggested after the test. This would ensure the reports are only showing the stats for the test. Apart, it would be great if you could configure the Perfmon counters also in the server.

• If restarting the server before the test is not an option, you could reset the plan cache using DBCC FREEPROCCACHE

• I restarted the sql server service before starting the performance test and I noticed that Memory\Available MBytes

is very high (12 GB out 16 GB, Max memory is configured to 12 GB). This is normal as we restarted the sql server sevice but it's giving wrong impression that there is issue memory.

So I think we should not restart the sql server service before starting the performance test. Please provide your inputs

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply