Performance trouble

• Hi All! I've migrate a production instance (SQL 7 Standard Edition) from a server with 2 PIII 600 mhz, 1.5 gb memory, RAID 5 to a server with 3 Xeon 800 mhz., 4 Gb. RAM, RAID 5. When i see the performance logs, i note that Memory: Page faults counter grows from an average of 82.85 to 134.13, and also other disk/memory related counters are worse than the old server. In BOL i found that this could be caused by 'processes configured to use too much memory', and the new server is configured to use 3.2 gb (at least this is the number showed in EM). The performance counters about SQL memory uses shows that no more than 1.8 gb. is taked by the process, and i know that the limit of use in this SQL Edition is around 2 gb.

What you think? I must reduce the configured value? why EM permit a value higher than the permited by the Std edition?

TIA,

Tmp

• From BOL.

"After you upgrade from SQL Server 7.0 to SQL Server 2000, it is recommended that you repopulate full-text catalogs and update statistics. Both operations can be time-consuming, but will enhance the performance of SQL Server 2000."

DBCC DBREINDEX should be performed too.

See Microsoft KB article below.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;297864

• I didn't change the SQL version, the only upgraded was the operative system (NT4 -> W2K Server)

• In that case, you may take look your RAID 5 configuration in new server. Can you post more information about new server hardware, paging file and how do you allocate database files across the RAID disks.

Edited by - Allen_Cui on 04/23/2003 11:36:57 AM

• The disks configuration is the same than the old server. The OS resides on a 9 gb RAID 0, and the DB files on a 60 Gb RAID 5.

• Do you have the same settings in the RAID Manager eg for read through, write through etc?

Jeremy

• Any other applications run in this server too? If they are, check which applications are the cause of paging.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply