Performing Compltion Action

• I found there are some jobs showing failed sign to my two SQL 7.0 boxes. The status shows 'Performing Compltion Action'. They have been hanged in this stage for two days.

When I viewed job History, there is no failed records. I restarted servers and jobs status shows 'Not Running' with failed red sign. After next scheduled job runs, it completed and red sign is gone.

The interesting is there is no failed record exists in view history.

Anyone met this problem before? I'd like to know what causes this problem and how do you fix it if someone know that.

Thanks!

Jie Ma

Jie Ma

• What actions do you have selected in the Job step, advanced tab? the ones I mean are the "upon success action" and "upon failure action".

• Thanks for asking!

Go to the next step in "upon success action" and Quit job reporting failure in "upon failure action".

However, I found that Mail Server is causing the stuck which I just found from our network team that our Exchange Server was down during the job ran and report results at last step of the jobs. Also it tells me that only the jobs need to report have the problem, other jobs ran OK.

It brings me another thinking about how to implement something to ensure the jobs running OK when email Server is down or check email server first before running the the important steps.

Jie Ma

Jie Ma

• If your jobs has notifications via e-mail, and the mail server is down, they stays in the 'performing actions' state until the agent can send the notification. Because that maybe the jobs works fine, but shows a failed sign.

Hope this help you.

• Thanks for the help!

Email server is the problem. Even through email server was back, the job still hanging. Actual job steps did not do anything and there is no record to indecate for that event.

Jie Ma

Jie Ma

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply