Perl and SQL Server 2005

• Has anyone started using perl scripting with SQL Server 2005.  We have extensive perl scripts for doing our database maintenance with SQL Server 2000 using DBD:DBC perl modules and it works great.  When I upgraded one of my instances to SQL Server 2005 the backup command does not work correctly through perl.  The command works perfectly in SQL Query Analyzer or the SQL 2005 Visual Studio front end, but when I issue it through an ODBC connection it fails.  In the SQL Server Error log I get the general 3041 error stating that the BACKUP DATABASE COMMAND coluld not complete check your Backup Application for more details.  My perl script returns an invalid cursor error.  I am assuming it is the new ODBC SQL Native Client driver but I can not confirm or deny this.  If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

Mike

• It's not as clean but you might try instead of using DBDDBC using backticks to execute command-line sqlcmd... I've experimented with the sql server module for perl, however support for anything after 7.0 was a little sketchy and I could never get it to work right.

Why are you using perl instead of SQL? For better file handling controls?

• I was trying to use pure perl. The reason that we are using perl instead of SQL is we wrote a set of tools that work accross all of our database engines (SQL, ORACLE, CACHE, ...)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply