Permision Problems

• Hi there,

My ISP is trying to set up a db for me in SQL7. He has an error though in authentication;

"The SQL Server was registered with NT users authentication.

I have an option to edit that registration to SQL authentication.

First, I have setup an SQL account account in SQL login manager with

permissions as an administrator to all.

After that, I've tried to edit SQL registration to SQL authentication and

I'm getting error with a message:

" Autentication failed. The login name is not associated with

SQL Server connection."

This is stopping making the remote connection. Any help ?

Thanks,

Martin.

• He will want to use SQL authentication. Basically that means adding a login and a password which he will give to you, then he has to add that login to a db as a user and then give that user some level of permissions.

Andy

• Thanks for that... I will pass it on. He is trying to set me up as a remote user ... is anything special needed for that ?

Cheers,

Martin.

• Warren,

I asked my ISP to do what you suggested and this was the answer ...

"That is what I did. But I have my SQL registered in NT authentication mode. You have said, in order to allow remote connection, I should switch authentication mode to SQL instead of NT.

When I've tried to do it, I'm getting failure, because "I don't have

permission" to do it, even when I setup a user with all SQL permissions.

That's the problem.

Warren, is there any suggestions here at all ? This is getting kinda URGENT 🙂 Thanks.

• He just needs to connect with an NT login that has sufficent rights to change SQL's security settings. See if he has an administrator account on the machine, or domain admin maybe.

Andy

• Hi Andy (Sorry for calling you Warren!),

I beleive that he has admin privs - it is his box! The frustration is that he cannot change the SQL registration to SQL authentication even with admin privs. I think this is needed to do for remote logins to work? Correct?

Thanks,

Martin.

• Hi Andy,

This is what the reply from my ISP was;

That's what I've done!

Should I create a SQL user identical to NT user?

Thanks,

Martin.

• If he has it operating in mixed mode he should have had to set an SA password. Either way, have him enter a sql login/password for you, then use Query Analyzer to try to connect to test it.

Andy

• Andy,

The problem is that he cannot swtich to mixed mode in the first place. The error message appears when he tries to. His reponse was;

"I can't switch it to mixed mode, because of permissions error."

Thanks,

Martin.

• Then he doesn't have SA level rights based on his NT login.

Andy

• Thanks Andy,

I don't understand that - I belive that he has. He is the sys admin. I will triple check, but I am sure he has.

Have short list of points he needs to go through to set this up - or how to trouble shoot? Maybe if I can send him some basic instructions, he can get it right.

Thanks, your help is outstanding.

Martin.

• It does sound like a permissions problem.

He can execute the following statement in Query Analyzer to verify the account he's using is indeed a sysadmin:

EXEC sp_helpsrvrolemember 'sysadmin'

Permissions default to Public, which means a non-sysadmin account can execute it. BUILTIN\Administrators corresponds to the local NT Administrators group.

I haven't seen anything in the Knowledge Base corresponding to not being able to put SQL Server into mixed mode but I'll keep looking.

K. Brian Kelley

bkelley@sqlservercentral.com

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/bkelley/

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• Thanks heaps Brian.

Martin.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply