Permissions to run a job

• I'm sure we've all been here before, but I'm struggling. SQL 2000 SP3 on Windows Server 2003. I have a DTS package which has a number of Execute Package tasks in it. All the packages are on the same server. I can run the package from EM logged in as myself and also as the domain account used to run SQL Server and SQL Server Agent. If I schedule the package the job fails with

"Executed as user: DCF\svc_sql. ...n OnStart: DTSStep_DTSExecuteSQLTask_3 DTSRun OnError: DTSStep_DTSExecuteSQLTask_3, Error = -2147467259 (80004005) Error string: Login failed for user '(null)'. Reason: Not associated with a trusted SQL Server connection."

All the connections are set up to use Windows authentication. Up to now I've solved permissions problems by logging in as the service account and seeing where the package failed, but this isn't working this time. Where should I be looking for the solution?

Thanks for any help

--
    Scott

• what the DTSStep_DTSExecuteSQLTask_3 is doing?

Lucky

• Just some straightforward updates. If I delete this step the next one (DTSStep_DTSExecutePackage Task) fails with the same message about not being associated with a trusted Connection.

--
    Scott

• Who is the job owner? If not sa, is that job owner in the sysadmin fixed server role?

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• The owner is DCF\svc_sql, who is a system administrator

--
    Scott

• Looks like everything is okay on the permissions side. The job steps that are failing... are they making calls to the same SQL Server where the package is running (as scheduled through SQL Server Agent) or are they hitting against another server?

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• All the tasks and the job itself are all on the same server. In the properties of the Execute DTS package task and in all the database connections, the server is referenced by its DNS entry.

--
    Scott

• Are you creating the job through the 'Schedule Package...' option? if so, what happens if you create a job step calling DTSRUN /E...?

• Hmmm... did you check the job step that is failing? In Advanced properties, there is "Run as user" setting which could play some role in your problems. Otherwise, I have no clue (most often similar errors occur when querying across several servers, which is not the case).

• I have run into similar errors but generally from client connections...  The fix involved changing the Server Network Utility and Client Network Utility settings.  I completely disable Named Pipes but if that is not an option try putting TCP/IP as the first (enabled) in the list.

• Is your dts package password protected?

Jules Bui
    IT Operations DBA
    Backup and Restore Administrator

• Error string: Login failed for user '(null)'. Reason: Not associated with a trusted SQL Server connection."

This would indicate you're connecting with an account that is either untrusted (from a domain that's not trusted, etc.) or you're experiencing a double-hop issue and therefore defaulting to NT Authority\Anonymous Login.

The first job step that's failing. It's attempting to connect to a SQL Server and execute a SQL query, right? You indicate the package is running on the SQL Server it is trying to connect to, correct?

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply