1 346 cert1 12

1 346 cert2 1

how can i get a table that looks like this

org_id activity_id cert_1 cert_2

------------------------------------

1 345 12 1

1 346 12 1

any ideas?

• trinity, could you give us some more info? Specifically, the relationship between (I think this is it) activity and cert_x and/or activity_type and cert_x? Or is it activity and score and/or activity_type and/or score?

Regards,

SJTerrill

• we3ll i will tell you as much as i can (im under nda)with out showing you real data

basicaly the table is formated as in the first exsample. The cert1, cert2..etc are certifacations. score is the score given

some activites have scores for multiple certs

some do not

i need to see a veiw with one activity per row with all the cert scores listed under a column for each cert type. or should i say i need to cereate a view that looks like the second exsample

• What you are loking for is called a Pivot table. In SQL The way to do this is by using CASE and GROUP BY to move the data sideways.

With a finite number of column possiblities you can simply do.

SELECT
    org_id,
    activity_id,
    SUM(CASE activity_type WHEN 'cert1' THEN activity score ELSE 0 END) AS cert_1,
    SUM(CASE activity_type WHEN 'cert2' THEN activity score ELSE 0 END) AS cert_2,
    SUM(CASE activity_type WHEN 'cert3' THEN activity score ELSE 0 END) AS cert_3
    FROM
    tbl_X
    GROUP BY
    org_id,
    activity_id

Or if unknown you might try working this script to your needs (there is an issue I received an email on but don't have in front of me or have corrected yet). http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/scripts/contributions/204.asp

Or the best way you can do if possilbe is to handle this in your presentation layer.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply