Pivoting a one column table

• Hello all. First off, im not sure if this is the forum i should be posting this on. If it's not im sorry and please direct me to the correct one.

The scenario im in right now got me puzzled as to what to do (and boy, i like being puzzled).

Ok, so i have 5 .csv files to import, all separated by TAB (\t) with different amount of columns.

The application we have in the company import the files into a single table with the amount of columns i specify in the application, but the problem is: i need to specify the maximum amount of columns(22) but instead of inserting nulls for the columns missing on the files that have lesser columns the app just keeps inserting and filling those columns, which completly ruins queries i need to run later on.

Now, i can tell the application to import everything into a single varchar column.

what i did then was to add a new column to the table to know which file is which worked well if a cursor.

i then added a CHAR(9)(tab) before and after each line so i could separate every field with a tally table

so now i got a 1 column table with everything i need separated by file type, but i need to pivot it back into actual columns so i can create 5 temp tables to work with.

im not sure this is the correct approach, perhaps something simpler can be done but at this moment i cant think of any and would love some ideas

Thiago Dantas

--
    Thiago Dantas
    @DantHimself

• See the following articles and keep in mind that the MAX of a single row will always be the value of that row.;-)

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• If I were you, I would be fixing my app so that it inserts the nulls in the missing columns correctly.

If I were you, and the above was not possible, I would follow the posting guidelines and give a sample of the table that you need pivoted.

Check my signature...

How To Post[/url]

• I agree... some readily consumable sample data and a CREATE TABLE statement would be nice.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• As a bit of a side bar... if you're using the 32 bit version of SQL Server 2005, doing such a thing as importing a file with an unknown number of columns into a table becomes a bit trivial. Here's some example code I wrote for someone else a while back. Long live "Jet". 😛

/**********************************************************************************************************************

Purpose:

Script to read from a TSV (Tab Separated Values) table having an unknown number of columns of unknown data type.

This demo is setup to read a given file called Artists_mini.txt located in C:\Temp. I'm saving the "any file"

version for an article ;-)

Author: Jeff Moden - 28 Aug 2008

**********************************************************************************************************************/

--===== Declare the local variables we'll need. Names are self-documenting

DECLARE @RootKey SYSNAME,

@key SYSNAME,

@Value_Name SYSNAME,

@Type SYSNAME,

@PreviousValue SYSNAME,

@NewValue SYSNAME

--===== Preset the "constants". These are self documenting as well

SELECT @RootKey = N'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE',

@key = N'SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Jet\4.0\Engines\Text',

@Value_Name = N'Format',

@Type = N'REG_SZ',

@NewValue = N'TabDelimited' --May be a character using N'Delimited(,)' where the comma is the character

--Original setting is usually N'CSVDelimited'

--===== Remember the previous value so we can set it back

EXEC Master.dbo.xp_Instance_RegRead

@RootKey = @RootKey,

@key = @key,

@Value_Name = @Value_Name,

@Value = @PreviousValue OUTPUT

--===== Show what the original delimeter setting was set to.

-- This, of course, may be commented out

SELECT 'Previous delimiter setting = ' + @PreviousValue

--===== All set... define the new temporary delimiter

EXEC Master.dbo.xp_Instance_RegWrite

@RootKey = @RootKey,

@key = @key,

@Type = @Type,

@Value = @NewValue

--===== Read the TAB delimited file without knowing any of the columns

-- Notes: "Database =" identifies the directory the file is in

-- The FROM clause identifies the file name

SELECT *

INTO #MyHead

FROM OPENROWSET('Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0',

'Text;Database=C:\Temp;HDR=YES;FMT=Delimited',

'SELECT * FROM Artists_mini.txt')

--===== Show the content of the table we just populated

SELECT * FROM #MyHEad

--===== Restore the original delimiter setting

EXEC Master.dbo.xp_Instance_RegWrite

@RootKey = @RootKey,

@key = @key,

@Type = @Type,

@Value = @PreviousValue

--===== Cleanup after the demo

DROP TABLE #MyHead

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• im not responsible for the app that does the importing, all i know is that it calls bcp but im not sure on the parameters passed and how it imports multiple files in the same table.

i tried getting sample data yestarday but realized it wont be possible till monday, thanks for the replys so far

--
    Thiago Dantas
    @DantHimself

• CREATE TABLE TEMP_IMPORT (DATA VARCHAR(8000), ID INT IDENTITY(1,1) PRIMARY KEY)

GO

INSERT INTO TEMP_IMPORT

SELECT 'Id_Contacto'+CHAR(9)+'IdOperacion_SIR'+CHAR(9)+'Apellido_RazonSocial'+CHAR(9)+'Tipo_Doc'+CHAR(9)+'Nro_Doc'+CHAR(9)+'Cuil_Cuit'+CHAR(9)+'Tipo_Persona'+CHAR(9)+'Relacion'+CHAR(9)+'Sexo'+CHAR(9)+'Estado_Civil'+CHAR(9)+'Fecha_Nacimiento'+CHAR(9)+'Profesion'+CHAR(9)+'Categoria_IVA'+CHAR(9)+'Actividad'+CHAR(9)+'Caracteristica_de_la_Actividad'+CHAR(9)+'Tipo_Sociedad'+CHAR(9)+'Estado'+CHAR(9)+'Fecha_Verificacion'+CHAR(9)+'Usuario_Verificador' UNION ALL

SELECT '647247'+CHAR(9)+'2690693'+CHAR(9)+'AARAO PEREIRA DE SOUZA'+CHAR(9)+'CPF'+CHAR(9)+'62965930744'+CHAR(9)+''+CHAR(9)+'Física'+CHAR(9)+'Titular'+CHAR(9)+'2'+CHAR(9)+''+CHAR(9)+'15/06/1959'+CHAR(9)+'PROPRIETARIO DE ESTABELECIMENTO COMERCIAL'+CHAR(9)+'Sin Datos'+CHAR(9)+''+CHAR(9)+''+CHAR(9)+''+CHAR(9)+'Contatado'+CHAR(9)+''+CHAR(9)+'' UNION ALL

SELECT '647251'+CHAR(9)+'2672875'+CHAR(9)+'ABADIA BARBARA AMANCIO DE SOUSA'+CHAR(9)+'CPF'+CHAR(9)+'44689799687'+CHAR(9)+''+CHAR(9)+'Física'+CHAR(9)+'Titular'+CHAR(9)+'1'+CHAR(9)+''+CHAR(9)+'25/05/1957'+CHAR(9)+'OUTROS - TRABALHADORES APOSENTADOS E PENSIONISTAS'+CHAR(9)+'Sin Datos'+CHAR(9)+''+CHAR(9)+''+CHAR(9)+''+CHAR(9)+'Contatado'+CHAR(9)+''+CHAR(9)+'' UNION ALL

SELECT 'IdContacto'+CHAR(9)+'IdTelefono'+CHAR(9)+'Tipo_Telefono'+CHAR(9)+'CodPais'+CHAR(9)+'CodArea'+CHAR(9)+'Telefono'+CHAR(9)+'Interno'+CHAR(9)+'Observaciones'+CHAR(9)+'Fecha_Verificacion'+CHAR(9)+'Usuario_Verificador' UNION ALL

SELECT '647247'+CHAR(9)+'785400'+CHAR(9)+'Residencial'+CHAR(9)+'55'+CHAR(9)+'27'+CHAR(9)+'32221741'+CHAR(9)+''+CHAR(9)+''+CHAR(9)+'02/10/2008 10:34:31 a.m.'+CHAR(9)+'serasa' UNION ALL

SELECT '647251'+CHAR(9)+'5048356'+CHAR(9)+'Residencial'+CHAR(9)+'55'+CHAR(9)+'34'+CHAR(9)+'34331543'+CHAR(9)+''+CHAR(9)+''+CHAR(9)+'02/10/2008 11:55:07 a.m.'+CHAR(9)+'serasa' UNION ALL

SELECT 'Cartera'+CHAR(9)+'Nombre Agencia/Estudio'+CHAR(9)+'IdOperacion SIR'+CHAR(9)+'OperId'+CHAR(9)+'Numero Operacion'+CHAR(9)+'Numero Caso'+CHAR(9)+'IdCaso SIR'+CHAR(9)+'Tipo Garantia'+CHAR(9)+'Garantia'+CHAR(9)+'Tipo Producto'+CHAR(9)+'Producto'+CHAR(9)+'Campania'+CHAR(9)+'Campania Gestion'+CHAR(9)+'Segmento'+CHAR(9)+'Lote'+CHAR(9)+'Tipo Cartera'+CHAR(9)+'Fecha Inicio Mora'+CHAR(9)+'Clasificacion BCRA'+CHAR(9)+'Estado Operacion'+CHAR(9)+'SubEstadoOperacion'+CHAR(9)+'AM Responsable'+CHAR(9)+'Fecha_Ultima_Asignacion' UNION ALL

SELECT 'Mercantil'+CHAR(9)+'ASSET'+CHAR(9)+'2630285'+CHAR(9)+'02000451150'+CHAR(9)+'02000451150'+CHAR(9)+'1000870430'+CHAR(9)+'1933761'+CHAR(9)+'Sem Garantia'+CHAR(9)+'Sem Garantia'+CHAR(9)+'Eprestimos'+CHAR(9)+'ADIANTAMENTO DEPOSITANTE'+CHAR(9)+'Campaña Mayor a 65 años'+CHAR(9)+''+CHAR(9)+'C-ST < 10.000 y Atraso < 1825 '+CHAR(9)+'A '+CHAR(9)+'Mercantil I'+CHAR(9)+'16/12/2002'+CHAR(9)+'Sin Datos'+CHAR(9)+'Activa'+CHAR(9)+'En Gestión'+CHAR(9)+'rarroyo'+CHAR(9)+'25/06/2009' UNION ALL

SELECT 'Mercantil'+CHAR(9)+'ASSET'+CHAR(9)+'2630302'+CHAR(9)+'0000001204388040505'+CHAR(9)+'0000001204388040505'+CHAR(9)+'10019781709'+CHAR(9)+'1933772'+CHAR(9)+'Sem Garantia'+CHAR(9)+'Sem Garantia'+CHAR(9)+'Cartao Real Visa'+CHAR(9)+'MB VISA CARD'+CHAR(9)+''+CHAR(9)+''+CHAR(9)+'C-ST < 10.000 y Atraso < 1825 '+CHAR(9)+'A '+CHAR(9)+'Mercantil I'+CHAR(9)+'05/05/2004'+CHAR(9)+'Sin Datos'+CHAR(9)+'Activa'+CHAR(9)+'En Gestión'+CHAR(9)+'rarroyo'+CHAR(9)+'25/06/2009'

--manually added the CHAR(9) (tab) cause forum formating was breaking things

UPDATE TEMP_IMPORT SET DATA = CHAR(9) + DATA + CHAR(9)

this is a bit of the data i have to import, i added the header and 2 lines of 3 different files and it should ilustrate my problem

i know how many columns each file has and i know the first column name and last column name of each, all second columns are uniquely named throughout the 5 files

i used this cursor to separate file types inside the table

ALTER TABLE TEMP_IMPORT ADD ARQ TINYINT

GO

DECLARE @TIPO VARCHAR(500), @Last VARCHAR(50) , @COUNTER INT

SELECT @TIPO = '',@LAST = '', @COUNTER = 0

DECLARE CONTRATO CURSOR FOR

SELECT DATA,ID FROM TEMP_IMPORT ORDER BY ID

OPEN CONTRATO

FETCH NEXT FROM CONTRATO INTO @TIPO,@COUNTER

WHILE @@FETCH_STATUS = 0

BEGIN

IF @TIPO LIKE '%IdOperacion_SIR%'

SET @Last = 'IdOperacion_SIR'

IF @TIPO LIKE '%IdDomicilio%'

SET @Last = 'IdDomicilio'

IF @TIPO LIKE '%IdDireccionMail%'

SET @Last = 'IdDireccionMail'

IF @TIPO LIKE '%Moneda%'

SET @Last = 'Moneda'

IF @TIPO LIKE '%IdTelefono%'

SET @Last = 'IdTelefono'

IF @TIPO LIKE '%Nombre Agencia/Estudio%'

SET @Last = 'Nombre Agencia/Estudio'

UPDATE TEMP_IMPORT SET ARQ = CASE @Last WHEN 'IdOperacion_SIR' THEN 0

WHEN 'IdDomicilio' THEN 1

WHEN 'IdDireccionMail' THEN 2

WHEN 'Moneda' THEN 3

WHEN 'IdTelefono' THEN 4

WHEN 'Nombre Agencia/Estudio' THEN 5 END

WHERE ID = @COUNTER

FETCH NEXT FROM CONTRATO INTO @TIPO,@COUNTER

END

CLOSE CONTRATO

DEALLOCATE CONTRATO

now, im not sure how to extract the data from this, as each columns from the .csv files need to go to different places and the files have relations between themselves.

i used this to turn everything into a single column table

SELECT TOP 50000 IDENTITY(int,1,1) AS N

INTO #TALLY

FROM SYSCOLUMNS,SYSOBJECTS

ALTER TABLE #TALLY ADD CONSTRAINT PK_TALLY PRIMARY KEY (N ASC)

GO

SELECT SUBSTRING(DATA,N+1,CHARINDEX(CHAR(9),DATA,N+1)-N-1)

FROM #TALLY

RIGHT OUTER JOIN TEMP_IMPORT ON ISNUMERIC(ID) = 1

WHERE N < LEN(DATA)

AND SUBSTRING(DATA,N,1) = CHAR(9)

now i dont know how to proceed

Thiago Dantas

--
    Thiago Dantas
    @DantHimself

• as a crappy solution, i created 5 tables with the correct amount of columns, exported 5 new files from the main table, re-imported the files to the correct tables and carried on with my life.

i would still like to learn if theres a way to avoid this whole re-export-import deal as im eager to change it all again.

--
    Thiago Dantas
    @DantHimself

• Ok... I'm confused. I thought you said you weren't the one responsible for importing the data.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• im not the one that clicks the "Import" button on the app

im the one responsible for what the "Import" button will do

the company i work for has a credit recovery system and our clients receive shipments in different layouts from different banks/stores/etc and my job is to make it so that everything the bank/store/etc sends get importerd

its mostly a SUBSTRING fest hehe

--
    Thiago Dantas
    @DantHimself

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply