plain old view says results are read only

• Hi all,

Am new to 2005 (although I'm a 2000 cert DBA for a few years).

I've just whipped up a simple view which I do hundreds of times in 2000 Enterprise Manager and it allows me to edit the data directly in the results pane.

The results pane in 2005 says the cells are read only.  What gives?   I'm always fiddling with data in that pane!  I couldn't find a setting anywhere to make the view results editable.

cheers

• I for one would be pleased to remove the ability to do some of the changes through SSMS, I trust you never "fiddle" in a production environment.

However, it does seem you can edit the underlying data through a view in SSMS so I suspect that it may be a schema ownership problem or you don't have permissions on the underlying table, or a combination of these. Or your view does not match the criteria for an updateable view.

[font="Comic Sans MS"]The GrumpyOldDBA[/font]
    www.grumpyolddba.co.uk
    http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/grumpyolddba/

• The view is identical to one I'd do in Enterprise Manager.

Same ownership as 2000 ( I think - I just detached from 2000, copied MDF & LDF to a new folder for testing in 2005 and attached in 2005).

yes i fiddle in production environments but I'm VERY careful.  Fortunately i know what I'm doing!

cheers

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply