Please Help me for Float DataType

• I got a new field called DailyCocumption by Float DataType defined.

The field is divided into two types of fields in the table comes from Integer. With the following command:

update dbo.tblgas01g4c40

set DailyConsumption = Consumption/FindDiffRead where (FindDiffRead<>0)

If the field values ​​and the Daily All times are Ayntjr divided 30/50 to be 6. Show, the table shows zero.

please help me,thanks.

• You are trying to devide integer by integer, the result will be also integer.

To get float you should first convert your arguments to float like this, convert(float,@integer1)/convert(float,@integer2).

Btw, remember, that float is not precise type.

I am really sorry for my poor gramma. And I hope that value of my answers will outweigh the harm for your eyes.
    Blog: http://somewheresomehow.ru[/url]
    Twitter: @SomewereSomehow

• hi

Thanks for the answer

I have almost two million data using the cursor do I need? Please give more explanation

• No, you don't need a cursor, you may write it directly in query

update dbo.tblgas01g4c40

set DailyConsumption = convert(float,Consumption)/convert(float,FindDiffRead)

where FindDiffRead<>0

This will update all the rows in dbo.tblgas01g4c40, by setting to the column DailyConsumption float value, the result of devision.

Also, a good thought might be avoiding zero devision error making check if FindDiffRead equals zero - do something.

for example display null or something else. For that purpose you may use nullif function, like this:

...set DailyConsumption = convert(float,Consumption)/nullif(convert(float,FindDiffRead),0)...

About float, be aware of such things:

declare @m float = 150.20;

select CAST((@m * 100) as int) as b --you may expect 15020, but it is 15019

I am really sorry for my poor gramma. And I hope that value of my answers will outweigh the harm for your eyes.
    Blog: http://somewheresomehow.ru[/url]
    Twitter: @SomewereSomehow

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply