Please help me get debugger working

• I have tried many of the solutions on the Internet but can not get debugger to work. Perhaps someone who has been there before can step me through the soluton.

I have successfully used Debugger before but possibly not on this machine:

Windows 2000

Microsoft SQL Server 2000 - 8.00.760

Developer Edition on Windows NT 5.0 (Build 2195: Service Pack 4)

Two instances

Running QA on the same machine as SQL Server.

I am trying to use Debugger against a stored procedure on the default instance.

I right mouse click a procedure in QA and select Debug.

Debug procedure window opens

I click execute and get the following message:

The debugger interface is not installed. Please re-run setup, select 'add components to yuor existing installation' and make sure you select 'Development tools'\ 'Debugger Interface'

I click OK and the debugger interface opens.

When I hit F5 I get the following message:

Server: Msg 504, Level 16, State 1, Procedure sp_sdidebug, Line 1

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Unable to connect to debugger on ich402w1 (Error = 0x80040154). Ensure that client-side components, such as SQLDBREG.EXE, are installed and registered on ICH402W1. Debugging disabled for connection 56.

• IF the SQLDBREG.EXE is installed on your ICH402W1 machine and you have already attempted the REGSVR32.exe option have you (I know I know MS answer coming) tried UNINSTALLING and RE-INSTALLING the client-side tools or even just RE-INSTALLING them??

I would also make sure that the userid you are using is in the proper group that has permissions to EXEC the sp_sdidebug system stored-procedure.  It may not have the permissions and SQL is providing an incorrect error...

Good Hunting!

AJ Ahrens

webmaster@kritter.net

• Just a quick note on this topic. I had the same error message.

Under Control Panel | Computer Management | Local Users the SQLDebugger account was locked out. I unlocked the account and now the QA Debugger is working great.

Jeff451SQL Guru wannabe

• Hi Guru,

Could you specify more detail? I don't see the SQLDebugger account in my machine.

• Hi Grasshopper.

The SQLDebugger account will be on the Server. If the server is not your machine that will explain why you can't see it.

First try.. starting the debugger..

"Debugging Functionality Changes

Introduced in SP3

The functionality for debugging stored procedures with Microsoft Visual Studio® 6.0 and older or with SQL Server Query Analyzer prior to SP3 is turned off by default. Application debugging (stopping at a SQL Server Transact-SQL breakpoint while debugging a client application) is also turned off by default. To enable debugging functionality, run sp_sdidebug, passing the parameter legacy_on. To disable debugging, pass legacy_off to this procedure.

sp_sdidebug 'legacy_on' (works)

Note  Running the sp_sdidebug stored procedure on production servers is not recommended.

For more information, see Microsoft Knowledge Base article 328151. This article is available at the Microsoft Product Support Services Knowledge Base.

Cheers

Greg

Greg Norris
    DBA to Development team

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply