Please Help Me (It is urgent).....

• Hi All,

I am using SQL Server 2000 on Windows 2000 Server, and today when I started my server the SQL Server was not been started and again tryed to start the service through service manager, I go an error message saying..

"Could not start the MSSQLSERVER service on local computer. The service did not returned an error. This could be an internal windows error or an internal service error. If the problem persists, contact your system administrator"

I could'nt find any possible error details from this message.

Please help me in solving this problem...

Thanks in advance

Kiran

• Is it a stand-alone server or in a domain?

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q307288&

Tim

• Hi timwilliams,

It is a separate server under a doamin server.

Thanks for replay

Kiran

• Check that the account you are using has the "log on as a service"local security policy setting enabled.

Hope this helps

Tim

• Hi Tim,

Actually "log on as service" was not enabled for the account i use, but now i have enabled that, but des't affected the current status(Still I am getting the same error message)

Thanks

Kiran

• Couple of things to try:

Change the service startup account back to the default Local System Account and see if the service will start.

If that works - add the user account to the Local Administrators group, and switch the service back to using the domain account and see if the service will start.

• Hi

I posted a similar question but have found the solution. The user that the service is running under must have rights within the database. You need to create the user within the security section of SQL. As yet I have not worked out minimum rights that the user needs but by making the user a system administrator the service will start.

• Adding the user to the Local Administrators group, will by default make them a SQL System administrator

• Hi,

I've been off looking for more info - I knew had seen this somewhere!

This link "Planing to install SQL2000" has a section on Setting up Windows Services Accounts. The requirements for Domain User Accounts are detailed here. This information is also in BOL under the title Setting up Windows Services Accounts

Hope this helps

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/prodtechnol/sql/proddocs/sql2kint/part2/88628c05.asp

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply