Please need help on looping through the dataset!!!

• I have the following table with sample data:

Row# Quarter_Name Week

----- ------------- -----

1 4Q'05 SEP26

2 NULL OCT03

3 NULL OCT10

4 1Q'06 DEC26

5 NULL JAN02

6 NULL JAN09

8 2Q'06 MAR27

9 NULL APR03

10 NULL APR10

Now I need to update the "NULL" values in "Quarter_Name" column with proper data. For example I need to update Row# 2 & 3 with 4Q'05....Row# 5 & 6 with 1Q'06.... Row# 9 & 10 with 2Q'06. I am not sure how to use "While Loop" or "Cursor" in T-SQL. Can any of you SQL folks send me the exact syntax? I've been searching the Google for Loop/cursor syntax since Wednesday and can't figure it out this specific task.

The expected result should be following:

Row# Quarter_Name Week

----- ------------- -----

1 4Q'05 SEP26

2 4Q'05 OCT03

3 4Q'05 OCT10

4 1Q'06 DEC26

5 1Q'06 JAN02

6 1Q'06 JAN09

8 2Q'06 MAR27

9 2Q'06 APR03

10 2Q'06 APR10

Really appreciate all of your help!

Thanks.

• You don't need a loop, or a cursor. All you need to do is:

1. Create a clustered index on your row# column. (It is most likely already there, but if it's not, create it). If you cannot modify your table, select your data into a temporary table and create a clustered index on that.

2. Change the field names of this query to match yours, the clustered index in the bottom to match the name of yours and run this.

3. Read the link in my signature for some tips on how to post data here for future questions. Had I had the information described in that article, this wouldn't be a guess, this would be tested code.

[font="Courier New"]DECLARE @QN VARCHAR(20),

@Row    INT

UPDATE MyTable

SET    @QN = Quarter_Name = ISNULL(Quarter_Name,@QN),

@Row = Row

FROM MyTable WITH (INDEX(ClusteredIndexName))

[/font]

For more information on this method, please view the following article.

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Advanced+Querying/61716/

(Lynn, I was gonna let you have this one, but you were offline!) :hehe:

Seth Phelabaum

Consistency is only a virtue if you're not a screwup. 😉

Links: How to Post Sample Data[/url] :: Running Totals[/url] :: Tally Table[/url] :: Cross Tabs/Pivots[/url] :: String Concatenation[/url]

• Garadin (10/31/2008)

3. Read the link in my signature for some tips on how to post data here for future questions. Had I had the information described in that article, this wouldn't be a guess, this would be tested code.

Man, I wish everyone would say that... we'd be able to help so much more! 🙂

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Garadin,

Thank you so much for the script. I will try to run this code in this weekend or first thing on Monday morning at office. Really really appreciate your response!!!

Thanks.

• Garadin,

Your scripts worked like magic. Again, appreciate your response. I have another issue with the same data set but I will figure it out or add a new post in another forum. Thank you so much!!!

• Thanks for the feedback moin6, glad we could help. Feel free to post your other questions as well.

Seth Phelabaum

Links: How to Post Sample Data[/url] :: Running Totals[/url] :: Tally Table[/url] :: Cross Tabs/Pivots[/url] :: String Concatenation[/url]

• It's amazing, even to me, how often that particular solution has been used, lately. Nice job, Seth. 🙂

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden (11/3/2008)

It's amazing, even to me, how often that particular solution has been used, lately. Nice job, Seth. 🙂

When I read (and then later fully comprehended) the way the method worked, it opened up a whole new train of thought for how datasets could be updated. I never would have thought to set variables in an Update statement before that. Thanks again for the articule Jeff.

Seth Phelabaum

• Awesome to know... thanks for the compliment, Seth. I really appreciate it. Heh... I also appreciate you getting to all of these before me! Makes my life a whole lot easier! 🙂

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Garadin (10/31/2008)

You don't need a loop, or a cursor. All you need to do is:

1. Create a clustered index on your row# column. (It is most likely already there, but if it's not, create it). If you cannot modify your table, select your data into a temporary table and create a clustered index on that.

2. Change the field names of this query to match yours, the clustered index in the bottom to match the name of yours and run this.

[font="Courier New"]DECLARE @QN VARCHAR(20),

@Row    INT

UPDATE MyTable

SET    @QN = Quarter_Name = ISNULL(Quarter_Name,@QN),

@Row = Row

FROM MyTable WITH (INDEX(ClusteredIndexName))

[/font]

For more information on this method, please view the following article.

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Advanced+Querying/61716/

(Lynn, I was gonna let you have this one, but you were offline!) :hehe:

Well, Sometimes I have to work, or travel home for the evening.

I wonder what the other issue with the dat will be.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply