Policy Based Management

• I was surprised to see that there was not a specific forum created for the purpose of discussing Policy Based Management. It seems to me like a very good topic to cover especially with the changes and enhancements moving to 2012 and 2014 versions.

• Personally, I'm not sure that one is required. PBM should really be called 'Policy Exception Reporting and Alerting'.

That said, it would be a great tool if it only worked differently and actually could be used as a SQL management tool 🙂

I guess MS want to push everyone to PowerShell - PBM is just a front end to PowerShell automation (and quite a poor one at that).:hehe:

[font="Courier New"]sqlmunkee[/font]
    [font="Courier New"]Bringing joy and happiness via SQL Server since 1998[/font]

• Replies like yours are one reason I feel it is needed, because my company seems to think this is going to be the mother of all save all\catch alls for insuring compliance, security, and uniformity, and if it is not the case lay people like me need to be able to provide a decent argument for the alternative.

I am also sure there have been some successes out there also.

I have been working through a large policy document trying to determine what can be converted into a PBM and what type of PBM needs to be used. I know about 90% of the list can be automated in some fashion, however it has been very difficult to determine how as it relates to PBMs.

• Post your questions in the relevant administration forum. PBM is a nice feature, but it's too specific to have a forum just for it. Hell, we've got way too many forums for 2008 already.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I really like PBM, but....

I would suggest that the reason there isn't already a user-group / forum / topic /whatever for it is that it's not used widely enough in the field and there's no real 'best practice'.

Certainly, I've not seen any job postings that list skills in PBM as a must-have, or even a desireable. It may just not be sexy enough 🙂

whilst it is wonderfully flexible, it's also quite complex, and you'd have your work cut out just defining your policy set, let alone working out how to automate remediations of policy violations.

Good luck !

[font="Courier New"]sqlmunkee[/font]
    [font="Courier New"]Bringing joy and happiness via SQL Server since 1998[/font]

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply