Policy Based Management Trigger Facet naming convention

• Hi Guys

I'm new to using Policy Based Management in SQL Server 2008 r2.

I need to create a policy that would stick to the following naming convention for a trigger

INSERT Trigger naming convention need to start with TRI

UPDATE Trigger naming convention needs to start with TRU

Thanks in advanced

dbadude78

• Would want to use the trigger facet, with name and either insert or update depending on the trigger as the conditions

• Hi

Thanks for the quick response

I have selected the the Facet Trigger but not sure have to evaluate the @Name and @Update in the expression builder together.

• @Update or @Insert should be = True and @Name should be LIKE 'TRI%' or 'TRU%' depending on the trigger. They will need to be evaluated in the same condition

@Update = True

AND @Name LIKE 'TRU%'

• Thanks for that, it worked perfectly

🙂

• Not a problem, glad all is working for you.

I found PBM to be a bit tricky first time I started using it, but you soon learn the ways of doing it.

• Beware that is a bit tricky policy. According to the business requirement you need to handle the case when a trigger is defined both for INSERT and UPDATE simultaneously.

• Hello again

When I try to enable the New Trigger policy I get the following error

'Evaluation Mode 'On demand' deos not support Enabled = 'True'

The setup is as follows they are on separate lines

AndOr Field Operator Value

@Name Like 'TRI_%'

AND @INSERT = True

You said on your post, they need to be evaluated in the same condition. Not sure how to do that

The only options in the Evaluation Mode are On demand and On schedule, the On change prevent is not available.

thanks

• If you have two lines in the condition for the facet, one with @insert or @update and the other with @name then it is setup right.

The policy for that type of facet and condition can only evaluate as on demand or on schedule, you must have on demand set as the evaluation mode for the policy to which you cannot enable the policy it must be run manually.

Change the evaluation mode to on schedule and set a schedule which will allow you to enable it.

You wont be able to create an on change prevent for this facet and condition.

SQL PBM Blog - Facets

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply