Possible to output a message to SQL Server Management Studio?

• Hi All,

I can use SqlContext.Pipe.Send("text to be printed") to output a message if I run my stored procedure from Visual Studio. For example if I'm in a loop, I can show the values in the output window. Is there a way that I can also make this work (print the messages) if I run the stored procedure from SQL Server Management Studio? It would be like using the print method to see a variable value or display the number of times through a loop, but since I've written my stored procedure with VB/CLR I have not been able to find a way to do it. Is it possible to see messages from the SQL side if a store procedure was written with VB/CLR?

Thanks for your help.

• "SqlContext.Pipe.Send" should be doing the same thing that a SQL PRINT statement does?

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• Yes, it works now. For some reason I didn't see the messages the first time I ran it. Sorry for the confusion and thanks for your help.

• Thanks for the feedback.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply