Preventing non-null duplicates

• Hello - I would like to prevent users from adding duplicate values to a field which also contains many null values. I've spoken to two developers that tell me that I have to create a composite index. However, on closer examination, we found that we can't create a composite index that doesn't include any duplicates. Could someone please point me in the right direction (I've got a grand total of two days working with SQL Server).  Thank-you!  

Tom Folinsbee  

• Eventhough creatting a trigger for that is not a difficult thing if you are allowed to use all the capabilities of sql server 2000 you have another choice:  Indexed views

let me be clear so that there is no doubt:

create a view that select that field from the table like:

Create view dbo.vw_test as

select MyNullableField From MyTable where MyNullableField is not Null

and then :

create unique clustered index ix_vew on vw_test(MyNullableField&nbsp

Now if you try to save a duplicate there you will get an error therefore you are protected with the index

for a version with the trigger you can take a look at This MS Tip

HTH

* Noel

• First of all I would do the following (Using of course your table and column names)

Update dbo.customers set Region = 'unknown'

where (Region) IS NULL -- repeat for each column which could contain nulls and if column is numeric substitue a numeric value for 'unknown'

Then to determine the scope of the duplicate problem run the  following query.

Select contacttitle, region, count(region)

from dbo.customers

group by contacttitle, region

having count(region) > 1

ORDER BY COUNT(region) DESC

This should give you an idea of the magnitude of your problem.  Remember if you try to delete duplicates  do NOT delete the last one !!! -- Seach here there are lots of samples of procedures to delete duplicate entries.

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read[/url]
    Before posting a performance problem please read[/url]

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply