Pri-Backup Servers (Win2K_SQL2K / Win2003_SQL2K) ???

• Hi All,

Right now we have our Primary Production Server running on SQL Server 2000 ENT. SP3 & Windows 2K STD. SP2. We would like to implement contingency server, so ordered the parts and got them late lastweek.

Can we have Primary running Windows 2000 Server SP2 / SQL Server 2000 ENT. SP3, while contingency server running Windows Server 2003 standard/SQL SQL Server 2000 ENT. SP3? Please Advice...... 

To begin with I would want to implement in log shipping, then down the line, would like to impliment Replication.

• Or is there any rule or contition that we must have the same version and edition of Windows for Pri and Backup servers, while implementing Log Shipping / Replication??

Please advice me if you know of any issues that might become a problem, since this server is having very high visibility for client.

• I am running log shipping with the two servers being different operating systems (primary Win2k, logship Win2k3). I've not found any problems as of yet. However I would upgrade your production server to the lastest Windows sp (4) and upgrade to MDAC2.8 with the latest hot fix just to ensure that you don't run into mdac related issues (happens more often than I like to think).

As for replication, I am not so sure, you would have to do testing, but provided your mdac match and you have the same SQL patch level I don't see any issues.

Shamless self promotion - read my blog http://sirsql.net

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply