Primary Key

• Hi Experts,

I have more than 100 tables in a database and is there any way to create primary key to all tables in a go.Please help me as I am new to SQL Server Development.

TIA

• I doubt there's a way to do this in a single go. Each table will need and individual PK created. Unless you've named the primary key in all 100 tables ID or something (a horrible idea), you can't easily generate code to create it. However, if you're intent on trying, try using a combination of sp_msforeachtable and sp_executesql to generate ad hoc queries.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Thanks Grant.

My idea was to create a procedure like

create procedure rkn_pk

declare @tabname char(50)

declare @colname char(50)

as

alter table @tabname add constraint @tabname+pk primary key on @colname

Is that possible.

TIA

• Created this but getting error while executing as the constraint name is creating lot of space

alter procedure rkn_pk

@tabname char(50),

@colname char(50)

as

begin

declare @sql as varchar(500)

select @sql='alter table '+ @tabname +'add constraint '+ @tabname+'_pk1'+' primary key'+ '('+@colname+')'

print(@sql)

end

Please help

• Solved

• Hi Ratheesh,

Can you please give me the code that solved your issue.

Iam also looking for the same query and conditions.

Thanks,

Sandhya.

• ALTER procedure [dbo].[rkn_pk]

@tabname char(50),

@colname char(50)

as

begin

declare @sql as varchar(500)

select @sql='alter table '+ RTRIM(@tabname) +' add constraint '+ RTRIM(@tabname)+'_pk1' + ' primary key'+ '('+RTRIM(@colname)+')'

execute (@sql)

end

EXEC [rkn_pk] 'RKN','NO'

• Hi

I would advice to use QUOTENAME to avoid SQL injections:

ALTER PROCEDURE [dbo].[rkn_pk]

@tabname CHAR(50),

@colname CHAR(50)

AS

BEGIN

SELECT @tabname = LTRIM(RTRIM(@tabname)), @colname = LTRIM(RTRIM(@colname))

DECLARE @pk_name AS VARCHAR(100)

SELECT @pk_name = @tabname + '_pk1'

DECLARE @sql AS VARCHAR(500)

SELECT @sql = 'ALTER TABLE '+ QUOTENAME(@tabname) + ' ADD CONSTRAINT ' + QUOTENAME(@pk_name) + ' PRIMARY KEY ' + ' ('+ QUOTENAME(@colname) + ')'

EXECUTE (@sql)

END

Two other questions:

Why do you use CHAR instead of VARCHAR?

Why do you not script your PRIMARY KEY as CLUSTERED?

Greets

Flo

• Thanks Florian for the Tips,

Actually created this as an experiment. I want to convert this to DB2 which i dont know..Do you have any idea? I will be very thankful if you can help me in doing that.

TIA

• Hi Ratheesh

Sorry, I have absolutely no idea about DB2.

Good luck

Flo

• By default, a column declared as a PRIMARY KEY should be clustered. Looking at the script I did not see anything about dropping an existing clustered index prior to creating the PRIMARY KEY.

In addition to adding the PRIMARY KEY (a serious design error) you should also take a good like at any index present in the database as well.

Regards

• J (3/28/2009)

By default, a column declared as a PRIMARY KEY should be clustered. Looking at the script I did not see anything about dropping an existing clustered index prior to creating the PRIMARY KEY.

Did you notice my question below my posted script? 😉

I just didn't add the CLUSTERED option because the previous script did not contain it.

Greets

Flo

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply