Primary Key Field - Identity

• I would like to create a table that stores a unique id value and several other bits of information and that everytime the tables gets truncated, it does not reuse one of the former id values, but rather moves on to the next. Can this be accomplished with the id field be set a a primary key identity field? Or if the table, is truncated, will the id start back at the same identity seed value as specified in the table properties. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• You could create a stored procedure that would:

1. get the last identity for the table

2. drop the table

3. create the table with the new identity seed value set to the last identity you retrieved in step 1

I am not sure why you want to truncate the data....I am sure you have your reasons. Any one else with ideas?

• Hi

TRUNCATE TABLE  will reset  identity seed  . But delete will preserve the  identity seed  . if it is a small table you can  Use delete . Else Procedure option  you can use .

Padmakumar

• First star wars quote found I did 

• You might want to look in books online for SET IDENTITY_INSERT.

This looks like it may allow you to "trick" the system by saving the last identity value just before the truncate and then inserting a row with the saved value and deleting the same row.  Subsequent inserts will be an increment of the value you just inserted/deleted.

Edit: I didn't see Mark's post.  That looks like a good solution but be aware your stored procedure will need to keep up with the most current definition of your table.

• Look at "DBCC CHECKIDENT" in BOL.

• This works but you must insert a dummy row or insert at least one row of new data.

HTH MIke

USE TEST

DECLARE @NewSeed int

SELECT @NewSeed = max(employeeid) FROM Employees

TRUNCATE TABLE Employees

SET @NewSeed = @NewSeed + 1

SET IDENTITY_INSERT Employees ON

--insert a dummy record with the next IDENTITY VALUE

INSERT INTO Employees(EmployeeID,FirstName) VALUES(@NewSeed,'Dummy')

/* The new row or dummy row must be set before you set identity_insert tablename to off*/

SET IDENTITY_INSERT Employees OFF

INSERT INTO Employees(FirstName)Values('Dummy2')

• After looking at this suggestion from PhilPacha it apprears to be the best solution.  So check out DBCC CHECKIDENT.

• Thanks all. I used DBCC CHECKIDENT, as suggested by PhilPacha, to look for the last identity value used and then incremented that value. Your feedback was greatly appreciated!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply