Problem ! Buffer cache hit Ratio <=67%

• Hi,

One of our application uses huge amount of memory for retrieval of data from database for application use only and perform lot of manipulation on it at that time the BuffercaheHitratio goes down upto 67% what is the reason of that and how I can troubleshoot it.

I'll Appreciate your fast response.

Thanks in advance

Nitin

• nitin.b.gupta (3/5/2008)

Hi,

One of our application uses huge amount of memory for retrieval of data from database for application use only and perform lot of manipulation on it at that time the BuffercaheHitratio goes down upto 67% what is the reason of that and how I can troubleshoot it.

I'll Appreciate your fast response.

Thanks in advance

Nitin

Check out the page life expectancy counter - ideally you want it to be greater than 300 seconds (i.e. pages remain in the buffer pool for more than 300 seconds).

If that's the case then you've either got to add more memory (both these counters can be a good indicator that you don't have enough memory to deal with whatever it is you're trying to do). Or, tune the application and the T-SQL that runs against the database.

There's no simple answer to how you troubleshoot this unfortunately.

• You do need to start the SQL Server with a Domain account that has access to the Network share that you want to back up to. then when you code the backup (or do the backup using maintenance plans) use the full UNC path to the network share

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply